Railroad Forums 

• Ran through my first switch today :-(

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#485763  by Blackjack2

Well, after 3 years without any mishaps, it finally happened. As conductor I ran through my first switch :(

Was a totally a stupid manuever on my part....and the LAST piece of work we had to do on our shift too!! We were running around a covered hopper in order to spot it. Took my engineer through the switch, stopped then threw the switch for the siding (which we were going to come back through on). My engineer and I were discussing setting out the car on the industry track and agreed we'd better chock the car as the spur is on a pretty good hill. The engineer said he'd back up so I could ride the unit back to the enginehouse where I could grab a metal chock. Well, I told him "okay back" then SNAP. My first reaction, after I got that sick feeling in my stomach, was "Don't tell me I just did something THAT stupid! Well, needless to say I did.

Luckily nothing went on the ground. Just snapped the rod in the switch. Nothing else broken.

I immediately notifed my supervisor, who was extremely cool & kind about the whole incident. He asked if it was my first time running a switch, then said "welcome to the club kid." I think he knew that I felt terrible.

But, I'm determined to file it as a learning opportunity. Do you fellas remember your first screw-up? What was it? Maybe some of your stories will help someone like me avoid doing the same thing!!

#485964  by Aji-tater

You have several positive things here. First, nobody hurt or killed. Second, apparently you don't work for one of those lines that want to fire you for any mistake. Third, it was only a run through switch, not a cornered car or a derailment. You just learned a lesson that even when you're tired and it's been a long day, you have to force yourself to stay sharp and focused. Don't let it eat at you, but don't forget it either.

For what it's worth, it happens to about everybody sooner or later, you're far from alone and it does not make you an idiot.

#486787  by GN 599

We used to have a "rubber" flopover switch (no not a spring switch) that we would run through with students on purpose. It was great especially if you had a guy who wasn't over his derail. They replaced it about a year ago though. I miss that switch :( .

#487342  by zoomdude

we stil have alot of rubber switches here in detroit. almost all of livernois yard has them. i like em

#487454  by Rocko

Engineer and I went by a dark signal back in October. We picked up another train at a nearby town. Had a train placement eror in the train we picked up. Egineer and I discussed it and unknown to us a few officials were setting up a dark signal test five miles ahead of us early that morning just at sunrise when we went by their dark signal. Needless to say it was a learning experience and I hope it will never happen again. Most importantly, I have been enjoying my four months off with job insurance pay.

#487568  by Gadfly

AH! The good old "whammy' or run-off insurance comes in handy! :P

Gadfly

#495142  by 10more years

Don't feel bad. Stuff happens.

I ran over my fourth person last week.

#495160  by conrail_engineer

Get in the HABIT of following the rail with your eye - that you can see IMMEDIATELY whether the switch is lined for your move.

Luckily you'll have a second chance. Depending on who you are and who's in charge, you don't always get it on my railroad.

Over ten years, only done it once - I was two months on the job and it was a puzzle switch; I lined the wrong switch handle.

That was back when the carrier was a whole lot more cool about those things...although, even then, we had luck on our side. We were in a foreign yard; and before supervision could show up, we outlawed.

#495219  by kickum

After five years I got careless one night switching on the lead. I kicked a car and went to grab the switch for my next move before the slack of the train ran out. I got the switch stuck half way and boom one wheel on a loaded open top scrap car sits on the ground.

It was in the middle of the night and I didn't have job insurance. However I was able to rerail it in 20 min with a couple big wedge timbers and a few bangs on the switch. Which I don't recommend to just anyone. :wink:

#495273  by jz441

Don't feel bad... These things happen. As long as your local management is cool about it, it's no big deal. I have seen people get terminated for getting one axle over the derail, and I also have seen people rear end a train and still keep their job.
It all depends on a superintendent... Some are rootless, and some keep big things big, and small things small.