• Going to Conductor School REDI in Jan. (HELP)

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by tomcat38671

HELLO ALL

I will be going in Jan to the conductor School-csx

How hard is the school?

Is there anything I can do to get ready for it.

Thanks tomcat

by charlie6017

Welcome aboard TomCat...........I am going to forward this to the employment forum so you will get more information.

Good luck,
Charlie

by Jim Rockford

Hey me too ,if my results come back good from the pysical thursday ,where you from ?

by scooterz66

The school is not hard if you pay attention and study. Another bit of advice I can give, is take notes, and pay attention in class. After class, go and fill in the blanks in your workbook. It works well for a review. Try and meet up with some of your classmates and have a study group if you have questions. Take it seriously and don't BS around and you'll do fine. Enjoy your weekends off, but always remember, you're there for school. Another bit of advice, get your signals test out of the way ASAP!!!!!! My advice, is take some 3x5 index card and markers or colored pencils with you and create flash cards and go over them whenever you have a free moment. Time goes a lot faster without it hanging over your head. Good Luck!

REDI Center Graduate 8/17/07

by Jim Rockford

already working on my flash cards..

by MistahQ

the school is a piece of cake, mostly memorizing rules and some field work. U wont really learn anything until you actually mark up and have to do things for yourself. I am in my 2nd year of CSX.
Also dont burn any bridges at your previous employer cause more than likely you will be trying to back temporarily when CSX furloughs you.
  by docholliday

dam how often does that happen in the beginning

by COEN77

It all depends on where you hire out if you'll be furloughed or not. A small percentage are lucky to never have it happen others might see furloughs every year till they build seniority. One word of advice don't go out on spending spree's for expensive cars, houses ect..till you feel comfortable with working year round. A lot of us made that mistake. My first year I was furloughed most of the year because of a coal miners strike after being recalled my second year and working a lot I bought a new car what I didn't know was 35% of the business was stagnant during winter months so I lost the car. This was 30 years ago furloughs aren't something new they've been around for generations of railroaders. It's just the nature of the business we're in, and the only way to get ahead working year round is through retirements or increases of business. If where you are hiring out most of the business is export coal that is a good thing because business is good.