Railroad Forums 

• MEC/B&M/Portland Terminal Question

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#34916  by trainsinmaine

A question that was asked me yesterday that I couldn't accurately answer: Exactly what constitutes the Portland Terminal Railway? I've always thought it's the link between the B&M main and the Maine Central main --- the track that actually goes through the city. I suppose since Guilford took over, all of that is merely on paper nowadays. That having been said, however, where does the B&M end, and where does the MEC begin? Is the severed stub of the WN&P between Deering Jct. and Westbrook still technically considered part of the B&M?
 #34940  by eddiebear

The Portland Terminal Co. was established to operate all of the rail facilities in its namesake area for the benefit of the two users. The PT bought all of the properties owned by the Boston and Maine and Maine Central in Portland, South Portland and Westbrook except the MEC General Office Building at 222-232-242 St. John St. For many years in its current or last incarnation it was owned 100% by the MEC The B & M at one time needed a cash infusion and sold its share of the PT to the MEC thinking that it would always direct the affairs of the MEC and therefore could risk its PT shares. This goes back to the early 1900s to the 1915 erea when a lot of this happened. When I worked at the B & M in the Accounting Dept. the payments to the PT for services was always a sore point.
 #34952  by wolfmom69

:) eddiebear gave a superb short history of the PTCO. It was abolished by Guilford. ALL TRACKS in the Greater Portland area(Westbrook,Portland & S.Portland were considered "PT tracks". Get a pre Guilford MEC/Portland Terminal Timetable from say,the 1950s,and you will see where the" PT Limits",began and ended. PT switcher crews switched Rigby 'round the clock and all the customers in the limits.They also had track crews to maintain the ROW in the limits. Yes,the "Bishop Street track",which is the LAST active vestige of the Old W.N.&P in Maine, is referred to as the "B&M side" of the tracks @ Deering Jct. The east side of the D.J. yard is called the "Maine Central side". 3 customers on the W.N.&P.,busiest & farthest away from Deering Jct.is a Georgia-Pacific Dist. Ctr.very near the Maine Turnpike,which cut the line when it was extended in 1954-55. While some W.N.&P. tracks remain at the SAPPI mill(again,called the B&M side),sad to say that the paper mill rarely uses rail,even chemicals,that came into the "Maine Central side",or Wood Yard,off Bridge St. are mostly trucked in. Yet,SAPPIs other mill,in Hinkley,is a huge user of rail,requiring a couple of daily locals outta Waterville! Bud
 #35735  by eddiebear

The PT issued its own timetables, separate from the MEC, until the late 1950s. They have much the same style as MEC timetables of the period. The PT also had its own locomotive fleet and in diesel days, two steam generator equipped GP-7s that did duty from time to time on the B & M. I have a Nov. '52 engine dispatchment list from BET for a Sunday and #1081 handled a Portsmouth-Boston round-trip that day.