• Railfans as professional railroaders

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by KarlJ

Jonny Bolt wrote:...I wonder how many people that were "railfans" and better candidates for the job were looked over in favor of a non-railfan who was less qualified for the job?
Hopefully each and every one of them.

by gp80mac

As far as I'm concerned - I don't care if you're the biggest foamer in the world, or you don't know a single thing about RRing. As long as you can learn and do your job - that is good enough for me!

by heyyou67

Hey Dude,

No matter what; DO NOT be a know it all or try to impress the interviewer with your knowledge. I had a trainmaster tell me a story of how he went to a hiring session to address potential candidates. Seems that a few people that rambled on about stuff like horsepower ratings and paint schemes got under his skin a little. Knowing that trainmasters are trainmasters I could easily understand why.

In reality the stuff you learn from magazines and the historical society has all but nothing to do with the job that you’ll be doing. Just act like a professional that’s seeking an opportunity with a major corporation.

And by the way; MOST railroad employees are buffs and foamers to one extent or another. They’re just “too cool” to admit it is all. Nothing wrong with having some interest and passion for the work you seek.

Just temper it with a little common sense and you’ll be OK … Good luck

by KarlJ

heyyou67 wrote:Hey Dude,

And by the way; MOST railroad employees are buffs and foamers to one extent or another. They’re just “too cool” to admit it is all. Nothing wrong with having some interest and passion for the work you seek.
Is that your opinion, or a fact? The emphasis on "most" doesn't give you a pass to make such a claim.

by Orgnoi1

LOL obviously KarlJ isnt a railfan....LOL

by Jtgshu

A better answer is to day "I have an interest in the operations of the industry" rather than to say "im a railfan, I want to play with trains!!!!"

Its a life, not a job, its work, its a very hard for some people to deal with. Its not a 9-5, leave the job and all its worries at the office kind of thing. The railroad is there, a part of your life, EVERY DAY - from the crew callers calling you at the worst possible times, to the getting bumped of runs and extra lists, to working like crazy to no work from one month/week/day to the next.

A lot of railfans think that its going to be great, like they see in pictures, a beautiful day, running a long haul freight across teh beautiful desert at track speed, windows open, arms leaning on the sill, enjoying the sun. Not swtiching around a dirty industry in a place where you wouldn't ordinarly be caught dead, or drillin in a yard in a snow/rain/hail/ice storm at 110/-10 degrees.

A lot of buffs who hire out are devestated when they find out their "dream job" is actually work, and turning into a nightmare, with no kind of regular schedule, and their family life, and possibly family, going right out the window.

You have to REALLY want to deal with EVERY aspect of the job and be able to seperate the hobby with the work - work is work, not play time. Its a VERY dangerous job and lives can be lost, JUST LIKE THAT.

but with that being said, its also a great job, fun, interesting and exciting, every day. Something is new adn different every day.

by MEC407

KarlJ wrote:
Jonny Bolt wrote:...I wonder how many people that were "railfans" and better candidates for the job were looked over in favor of a non-railfan who was less qualified for the job?
Hopefully each and every one of them.
So basically you're saying that a person who is completely inept should be hired instead of someone who is actually qualified for the job and happens to be a railfan.

Sounds like someone has some deep-seated anti-railfan issues.

You are aware that this web site is run by railfans, for railfans, right?

by umtrr-author

Back in the first post, the question was whether railroads shied away from hiring railfans.

Back a few years ago when I was visiting the Class I's as part of my work, I was told at least once (at a Class I that must remain nameless) that the answer was yes, and for the safety reasons cited.

by KarlJ

MEC407 wrote: So basically you're saying that a person who is completely inept should be hired instead of someone who is actually qualified for the job and happens to be a railfan.
Mr. Bolt did not say “completely inept” anywhere in his theory. He compared a more qualified railfan to a less qualified non-railfan.
Sounds like someone has some deep-seated anti-railfan issues.
And that sounds to me like a personal attack. It is directed specifically at me, and I must object.
You are aware that this web site is run by railfans, for railfans, right?
And you said that to say what? I could note that as another statement that has no substantive value at all, nor does it contribute anything to the discussion. But it amuses me why you would say that. So I ask again: you said that in order to say what? What are you saying?

by MEC407

Mr. Bolt did not say “completely inept” anywhere in his theory. He compared a more qualified railfan to a less qualified non-railfan.
Fair enough: that is basically what he wrote. But the fact remains that you suggested that a railfan who is qualified to work for the railroad should not be hired by the railroad, and that the railroad should hire someone who is not a railfan, even if that person is less qualified than the railfan.

I doubt I'm the only one here who has a problem with that.
And that sounds to me like a personal attack. It is directed specifically at me, and I must object.
I'm not attacking anyone. You made a statement that was clearly anti-railfan, and I called you on it. That's all.
So I ask again: you said that in order to say what? What are you saying?
OK, let me rephrase what I wrote:

This is a web site that caters to railfans. It appears that you are not a railfan. So... why are you here?

In the "Interests" section of your profile, you even wrote: "Pretty much anything NOT work or train related."

All I can do is scratch my head and wonder why you would waste your time on a railfan web site, discussing railfan topics, if such things are of no interest to you.

by slchub

"And by the way; MOST railroad employees are buffs and foamers to one extent or another. They’re just “too cool” to admit it is all. Nothing wrong with having some interest and passion for the work you seek."

I'll side with Karl J and say that the last thing I want to do after running an Amtrak engine for 10 hours all night is stick around and look at UP engines and old, worn out flat cars go by the depot.

I think a few people in this forum would be glad to have some "real" employees on the board to squash the BS that would no doubt flourish if the railfans had to ponder what really happens on the property. I don't know why Karl J is on the board, but I come as a way of therapy to relieve the stress of the job, quash the BS, laugh out loud as I read some of the BS some guys come up with, and give a word or two about the operations of the RR in my view as an engineer.
Last edited by slchub on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

by KarlJ

MEC407 wrote: OK, let me rephrase what I wrote:

This is a web site that caters to railfans. It appears that you are not a railfan. So... why are you here?

In the "Interests" section of your profile, you even wrote: "Pretty much anything NOT work or train related."

All I can do is scratch my head and wonder why you would waste your time on a railfan web site, discussing railfan topics, if such things are of no interest to you.
One, it's none of your business why I'm here.
Two, I don't recognize railfans as work or train related.
Three, I don’t consider my time wasted.

So you just keep right on scratching your head.

by Orgnoi1

KarlJ wrote:
MEC407 wrote: OK, let me rephrase what I wrote:

One, it's none of your business why I'm here.
Two, I don't recognize railfans as work or train related.
Three, I don’t consider my time wasted.

So you just keep right on scratching your head.
OK now I am really finding this humorous... Karl... are YOU a railfan?... curious...

by Plate F

Back on topic, I have come across the same thing. I was warned when I started working that I should keep the railfan part to myself (something about "people not liking that fact"). And after interacting with the guys, it is really awkward sitting there talking and you feel like you know more than them. Definitely DO NOT *EVER* try to be a know-it-all and just start jabbering about horsepower and the locomotive roster and blah-blah-blah. I haven't gone quite that far, but at one point before I learned about this, I was almost at the point of humiliation (awkward silence!!).

My brief opinion of this is such: You can be a railfan and work on a railway, but do not let play interfere with work.

-Adriel

by MEC407