Railroad Forums 

• NS hiring question

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#459419  by D2

I have been through and passed all of the pre-employment tests. About six years ago I had a lateral release done on my knee. I recieved a letter to have my doctor fill out stating that there are no problems with my knee. Will this stop me from being hired as a conductor for NS.

#459506  by Lehighrrgreg

It wont stop you but even so, about 10 years ago I broke my leg skiing and when I was hired, even though it had been a few years and had no resulting problems etc. the medical department held me out for a few months until my hospital's medical records dept sent my information in and the Med. Dept could examine them. By then I got ran around on the roster so much that it put a real dent in the senority I would have if I had no previous medical issues and got let right in. Regardless, Im sure they will want to see some documentation from it if they are serious about hiring you.

Good luck

#459618  by musicmarine

I just went through the same thing. I was in the Marine Corps for almost 11 years and it tends to be hard on your body with all the physical training and marching and just plain being on your feet. I have had some minor back problems and they required me to get a letter from my doctor saying that my back was fine as well as the medication I am on for Hypertension. I sent the letter in on Friday and my supervisor called me today to say that I am to come in for orientation on Nov 6 and start training on the 8th. So as long as your doc gives you the thumbs up you should be ok. Make sure the letter or what ever you have to get from the doc is specific. I had to get the letter re-written because the medical department said it was not specific enough. Hope this helps!! See ya "down the line."

#459633  by Lehighrrgreg

Marine..You might want to check on this but you might be already grandfathered into the Railroad Retirement Board with your previous US service. Some railroads are allowing people who came from the services to credit that time in various ways. I would make a point to contact labor relations through your chosen union rep when you get to that point.

Greg

#459814  by D2

Thank you for your replies. I hope to see ya on the rails.

#459884  by jgallaway81

D2.. I had a head injury from being a stupid ten and not wearing a bike helmet.

Once I got the records sent in that showed no probs, I got let right in. The key is not to delay.

In January I went to the training center as an engineer trainee. Had the physicals all done and everything, no one said a word... get down to McDonough.. they can't give me my license cause my vision was listed as 20/250, way outside FRA limits. The dumb doc @ the clinic who gave me my physical put my uncorrected vision in the wrong box. Had to get a new eye exam in Georgia in order to get my license.

Stuff like this doesn't stop NS from hiring you, they are just extra careful to try to reduce their liability.

#459916  by D2

Yeah as soon I recieved the letter I made an appt. with the doc.