Railroad Forums 

• CNJ wood caboose drawings needed

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#443672  by Mr. Ed

We at the Pemberton Township Historic Trust (PTHT) are in need of drawings and dimensions of an unidentifiable caboose so we can begin restoration of an old CNJ caboose we have at our facility. We have a young man who is in the process of working on becoming an Eagle Scout and he has taken this project on. The dimensions are so he can put together a materials list for his proposal. Can anyone direct me to a site that might contain drawings of these cars? The caboose is like the one at Phillipsburg and I believe the restored one in Blackwood, NJ. It has cast iron archbar trucks with transverse springs that actually stick out past the body of the caboose.
Thanks.

Later!
Mr. Ed :-D

#443773  by steemtrayn

Drawings of a CNJ wood caboose appear on pg. 136 of the Model Railroader Cyclopedia, sixth edition. This book is from 1950 and is WAAAY out of print, but often shows up on ebay.

#443781  by steemtrayn

Or better yet, just PM me an email address and I'll send it to you.

#498000  by GSC

Hope this isn't too late for you.

There are two class NEa wooden CNJ cabooses at the Pine Creek RR at Allaire State Park, 91155 and 91245. '55 is restored and in service. www.njmt.org

Handy for taking measurements, pictures, etc., up close and personal!

#498408  by GSC

You may have yourself a really old oldtimer. CNJ caboose 91155 was rebuilt from NJ Southern boxcar #31943, that built in 1874.

As rebuilt into cabooses, they were originally sided with verticle tongue-and-groove siding. Subsequent rebuildings used plywood siding.

#504322  by RDG-LNE

Model Railroader published plans a few years back in conjunction with an article by Allan Mende. If you can locate it, the only issue I found in the MR Index is May 1987.

Drew

#527182  by green_elite_cab

GSC wrote:Hope this isn't too late for you.

There are two class NEa wooden CNJ cabooses at the Pine Creek RR at Allaire State Park, 91155 and 91245. '55 is restored and in service. www.njmt.org

Handy for taking measurements, pictures, etc., up close and personal!
Yeah, the project has been done for a while, but now i know! I'm the eagle scout who started the project up. That was intense. We were originally supposed to patch some holes in it, but as it turned out, there was some really ugly damaged. We ended up installing new sides, and we put some new structure inside of it to replace the old rotted 2x4s.

I'm not sure how the caboose is now, since i haven't been in contact with the museum in a while, nor have i been down by there recently.

Now that its getting warmer, and that i'll be getting my drivers liceance soon, i'm going to probably volunteer this summer.

#529935  by Otto Vondrak

OT: Dude, you got your Eagle before your driver's license? What, did you get all your required merit badges when you turned 12? :-)

-otto-

#530390  by green_elite_cab

Otto Vondrak wrote:OT: Dude, you got your Eagle before your driver's license? What, did you get all your required merit badges when you turned 12? :-)

-otto-
Nah, you can only get the drivers license i think when you are 17 (and i think you can start practicing at 16). However, all of that scout stuff pretty much filled the gap between now and this time last year. In fact, only a year ago i was still Life Scout. I had to go through the ranks fast because i was a dummy and didn't get my butt in gear until late the beginning of highschool.

I actually earned most of my badges in the last year or two, lol.

Yeah, right now i'm 18 and i'm sticking around as an assistant scout master. I can't complain, now i get to tell everyone else what to do!

just joking about that last part :wink:.

#531539  by GSC

The Eagle Award is a very big deal! So many of my family were into the Scouts, most making Eagle and Life. A good friend was awarded the Silver Beaver a few years ago.

Congratulations!