Railroad Forums 

• Anyone get an L&HR C420 from Atlas?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#429474  by nydepot

I got mine and I'm disappointed in the gray. It's very dark and does not match the gray in the photo of the model on their website.

I'm trying to find out if mine is an fluke and I should exchange it or if they all came out too dark. The gray (when new or clean) to be almost like Southern's Imitation Aluminum, a very light gray. It could get very dirty. The numbers were easily readable on the side of the cab. Not so on the Atlas model.

In an article way back in RMC on modeling one, they used Floquil concrete to paint the gray. I thought that was very convincing.

Any thought? Thanks,

Charles

#429657  by tech2187

ive been looking to pick one up. where did you get yours, a local store or online? id be interested as well to know if the paint scheme is a bit off before getting one.

#429665  by lhrfan

I just got mine today in the mail. Yes, the gray is too dark. I've painted two 420's and used Polly-S light gray, which is a good match,IMHO. I had been told that D&H gray was a good match by a guy who was very familiar with the prototypes. You're right. The picture on the Atlas website shows a lighter gray.

#429971  by nydepot

I've heard back from Atlas and they say the gray as received on my model and yours too is the "correct" gray, meaning what you see is what Atlas intended. I am the only person who has said anything so I recommend visiting their website and emailing them (or you could call).

They said they would revisit the color on the next run (which is a Phase 2 model).

Charles