Railroad Forums 

• Chance of staying in KC?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#428692  by xminion

Greetings,

Forgive me if the answer is somewhere here - I couldn't find it.

Tested in KC at 90% recently. What are the chances of staying in KC, and what are the cities within the districts?

Thanks to all

#428716  by rwallace2fan1

When did you test? The last I heard they were not hiring in KC for the rest of the year. As far as staying here, you have a decent chance of that. We cover KC, Atchinson, and for the time being Ft. Madison IA. I heard that Ft. Mad was going to Chicago though. Right now we have probably 20-25 guys borrowed out, but at least no one is furloughed right now, but that can and probably will change.

#428814  by xminion

Hi,

Thanks for answering my question. I tested last week in KC.

#429025  by rwallace2fan1

They must of changed their mind again. I hired in Jan 07, and have moved up 45 spots already.
 #431240  by ssh

Hi all im a new hire , imk starting conducter class in kansas city aug 12 next monday,
I live @ 90 miles from school will i get any gas cash or am i on my own to drive 180 miles every day,
well ill do what i got to do.
is it possible to get a job in atvhison kansas that is only 30 miles from where i live
i want to thank everybody for all of these post , i have been reading for days, lots of great info.

i dont understand much of the RR jargon but i starting to pick up bits here and there..
if any body hase recent info about kansas city area please let me know
post or call

scott
913-220-2030

#431241  by ssh

sorry for the typeing mistakes thes is a new little lap top ,im not verry good at this little keay board.
scott

#431245  by rwallace2fan1

ssh if you live more that 45 miles from kc they should of offered you to stay in a motel. that's what they did in our class. as far as atchison, you have to have alot of grey hair to hold up there, a lot of senority. you will most likely be stuck on the yard x-tra board, borrowed out, or posibly cut off for a while.
 #534156  by Tajmag

For anyone that doesn't already know the pay for new hires at UP in KC is as follows. The training pay for the first 3 weeks is $10 hour / 8 hrs a day / 6 days a week for 3 weeks = $480 a wk.

After that its $143.33 a day / 6 days a week until your training is done.

You're paid twice a month / 1st and 15th. Its kind of wierd, one check you might get 3 weeks of pay, then another 2 weeks, then another only 1 week. They always pay you what they owe you, but you just have to watch it carefully so you can understand what their doing.

Right now they're close to signing on a new contract that will increase the pay 17%. It looks like mid-summer once it becomes retro-active. What's great about UP in KC lets say over KC Southern is they have a guarantee.

From what I understand its around $2000 a half at 80%, but obviosuly when the new raise goes into affect, expect around $2350 a half.

Right now insurance doesn't begin until after the 4th month begins, but with the new contract it will begin after the first month.

I don't know about you, but I think thats pretty good.

Also figure to work in the yards for 6 months to a year as an RCO before you get enough seniority to hold a road job, but even the yard work pays good. That specific guarantee I mentioned doesn't apply to the road, I don't know their guarantee.

I'm fairly new, I hired in at March 3rd.

I had 3 weeks of new hire class room training, 1 week in the yard,
4 weeks of OJT in the yards, 2 weeks of conductor classroom and next is 2weeks on the road OJT, after that 1 weeks in the classroom and then about 5 or 6 weeks RCO and them I'm marked up.

I know its a lot of information, but I know a lot of people are getting hired here (a class every month into fall) and they're not going get all the information, I know I didn't (SO HERE YOU GO) You can thank me later.

TAJMAG

#538056  by Burner

rwallace2fan1 wrote:They must of changed their mind again. I hired in Jan 07, and have moved up 45 spots already.

wow... A yar after I hired out I had moved up nearly 200

#538301  by UPRR engineer

Moved to the employment forum.
 #541143  by cifn2

In St. Louis Service Unit it was about $60 more a day during training, but that continued through your 90 days or until you were marked up, probably old MP contracts. Yes watching your pay is very important, not only as a BIT, CIT, but as conductor where your miles matter!

Also watch CMS for mistakes. I got called for a train.... got up went to the bathroom, came back to the room to get things around. Phone was ringing again, caller told me he gave me the wrong train, gave me a new ID going Northbound instead of a Southbound. No problem. Showed up at the depot, told the crew I was with that I was with them, they said it didn't show you on our train. Looked up my record on the system, it showed up as MISSED CALL, NEW CALLERS as they all are I am told at CMS, put me in as missed call so he could remove me from the first train he accidentally sent me on wrong.

I called CMS, and the guy on duty was different he removed it, but said he didn't know what to tell me. He was pissed because I called. I told him the whole story, and he seemed not so understanding. The MTO, was in the office so I made sure I let him know about it, and he checked it, and said it is cleared now.

Scary... just wait until they lose you. If you have a wife or gf at your house, make sure you let them know that the RR will call your house when you are at the away from home hotel.

Tajmag wrote:For anyone that doesn't already know the pay for new hires at UP in KC is as follows. The training pay for the first 3 weeks is $10 hour / 8 hrs a day / 6 days a week for 3 weeks = $480 a wk.

After that its $143.33 a day / 6 days a week until your training is done.

You're paid twice a month / 1st and 15th. Its kind of wierd, one check you might get 3 weeks of pay, then another 2 weeks, then another only 1 week. They always pay you what they owe you, but you just have to watch it carefully so you can understand what their doing.

Right now they're close to signing on a new contract that will increase the pay 17%. It looks like mid-summer once it becomes retro-active. What's great about UP in KC lets say over KC Southern is they have a guarantee.

From what I understand its around $2000 a half at 80%, but obviosuly when the new raise goes into affect, expect around $2350 a half.

Right now insurance doesn't begin until after the 4th month begins, but with the new contract it will begin after the first month.

I don't know about you, but I think thats pretty good.

Also figure to work in the yards for 6 months to a year as an RCO before you get enough seniority to hold a road job, but even the yard work pays good. That specific guarantee I mentioned doesn't apply to the road, I don't know their guarantee.

I'm fairly new, I hired in at March 3rd.

I had 3 weeks of new hire class room training, 1 week in the yard,
4 weeks of OJT in the yards, 2 weeks of conductor classroom and next is 2weeks on the road OJT, after that 1 weeks in the classroom and then about 5 or 6 weeks RCO and them I'm marked up.

I know its a lot of information, but I know a lot of people are getting hired here (a class every month into fall) and they're not going get all the information, I know I didn't (SO HERE YOU GO) You can thank me later.

TAJMAG