Railroad Forums 

• P42 Thoughts

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#416367  by slchub

What I would like to know is what genius at GE designed the HVAC system whereas it draws air from the lavatory on these Amtrak motors?

[moderator's note--split from Locomotive Cabs thread]

#416370  by slchub

Anyone know who "Elmo" is? About half the P42's half "elmo" graffiti in the lavs.

#416782  by ZephyrHogHead

I would like to meet the dang moron that thought the desk top control stand, computer screens, and computer controlled braking were good ideas.

Not to mention what slchub said about the ac unit sucking air from the out-house.

Desk top control stand is by far the biggest hunk of crap I have ever had to tolerate on a locomotive. The CCB is an absolute joke. In an effort to save money and make things more simplistic we have to use this computer braking!!! What I would give for a "real" brake valve. I hate moving a "joy stick" of a brake handle that does nothing more than tell a computer how much air I want. Then the computer tells a speaker in the cab to generate a fake sound of air exhaust. Not to mention, you take a 10lb set with CCB and next thing you know the computer decides that you really wanted 12 or 14 lbs. What a friggin joke.

I think what needs to happen is that the railroad execs, the absolute idiots at GE, and the "college grads." (who are supposed to know more than we who run the engines) be required to tolerate running these P.O.S's for 12 hours and see how they like it.

GE has been and always will be a cheap product when it comes to locomotives. Also, it will always be designed to default to shut-down since GE doesnt want an engineer to be able to try and fix it or hurt the precious thing.

EMD..... best locomotive you can get. If it wasnt it too would be GE...... Generic Engine!!!

Ahh how I love the sound of a nice EMD 2 stoke.

#417999  by MEC407

Have you run an F59PHI lately? They aren't any better...

#418264  by DutchRailnut

The P42 HVAC draws air from outside at left side of locomotive.
Try to open outside recirculating slide in front of refregirator to keep cab pressurized. also make sure inner nose door is closed behind screen under radio.

#419786  by slchub

Thanks Dutch! I'll look at that next time we have a stinker.

#419788  by slchub

MEC407 wrote:Have you run an F59PHI lately? They aren't any better...
I noticed before I left the UP the new GE and EMD locomotives had toilets that smelled worse than the older (2000 and older) units.

#445552  by bmichel5581

slchub wrote:Anyone know who "Elmo" is? About half the P42's half "elmo" graffiti in the lavs.
I have an idea who it might be.....same person as TGP...

*shakes head* writing on the bathroom wall....what are we, in fourth grade?

#446356  by MEC407

Speaking of "Elmo": what's up with the guys who feel compelled to write the engine number on every square inch of the cab with Sharpie marker? I mean, unless you've got severe tunnel vision, there's no good reason why you'd need to have it written on every surface in the cab!