Railroad Forums 

• HO S-2's In Pre-War Paint By Atlas

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#408696  by CAR_FLOATER

Apparently this was just announced in the last day or so by Atlas - http://www.atlasrr.com/HOLoco/hos2s43.htm
The HO scaler's here on the forum can rejoice (I know I am!) , as long as you don't model "modern" Valley, that is!
I'll be ordering my two this afternoon, I won't let this one get away, because it sure beats having to paint them myself!

CF

#409228  by GOLDEN-ARM

GREAT. Now the 10 I have, in the process of painting, become a drain on my time. Why couldn't they tell me........ :P
Why, I had to buy them as S-1's, and then buy the shells seperately, to make them "proper" S-2's. Oh, the Humanity........ :P

#409257  by CAR_FLOATER

D'OH!

I though of you and your "project" as I placed my order Saturday.......But at least you can say you didn't take the easy way out and did it yourself, right?

CF

#409267  by GOLDEN-ARM

At least you thought of me. Maybe I'll get the last 6 in pre-painted, Pre-War, and paint over them, into the Cornell. More "realistic", that way...... :(

#409390  by Luther Brefo

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I had to buy them as S-1's, and then buy the shells seperately, to make them "proper" S-2's. Oh, the Humanity........ :P
Please explain this. Is there something wrong with the Atlas S2?

#410045  by GOLDEN-ARM

Yeah, there is. (I needed 10 undecs, but they only had S-1's, in stock.) They did have shells, for S-2's. So, to get what I needed, I had to buy S-1's, and add my own bodies. You can't sit around waiting for locos to be re-released. You gotta do, what you gotta do........ :wink:

#410333  by Luther Brefo

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Yeah, there is. (I needed 10 undecs, but they only had S-1's, in stock.) They did have shells, for S-2's. So, to get what I needed, I had to buy S-1's, and add my own bodies. You can't sit around waiting for locos to be re-released. You gotta do, what you gotta do........ :wink:
Oh okay. I musunderstood. I read it as, Atlas made mistakes on the models themselves and crossed components as in wrong details.

What is interesting is that Atlas seems to be avoiding redoing the S3. I've got one from many moons ago. In reality, they simply have to place the S1 body on the S4 drive and there goes the S3.

#411337  by John_Henry

The problem with the Atlas S1 and S3 is that they ride on the S2/S4 frame. In real life, there is a difference in length. The P2K S1/S3 is correct for those units, and the Atlas is closer for the S2/S4.

JH

#411379  by Luther Brefo

John_Henry wrote:The problem with the Atlas S1 and S3 is that they ride on the S2/S4 frame. In real life, there is a difference in length. The P2K S1/S3 is correct for those units, and the Atlas is closer for the S2/S4.

JH
Which is longer, the S1/3 or the S2/4?

#411556  by GOLDEN-ARM

To be fair, the S-1/3 series are 40 feet, 6 inches long, from pilot to pilot. The S-1/3 measures 22 feet even, center-cup to center-cup centerline. It also measures 9 feet, 3 inches from both center-cup centerlines, to the pilot, at each end.

The S-2/4 measures 41 feet, 6 inches, from pilot to pilot. The S-2/4 series are 22 feet, 6 inches long, from center-cup to center-cup centerline. The S-2/4 has a centerline center-cup, to front pilot measurement of 9 feet, 9 inches. the rear measures 9 feet, 3 inches, centerline of center-cup, to pilot.

This means there is a 6 inch longer section, between the center-cups, on the S-2/4 series, and an extra 6 inch overhang, from the front center-cup centerline, to the pilot face. The 6 inches in the middle, not noticeable. The 6 inches missing from the front, is passable IF the models aren't actually longer, in the nose. All I have here, are S-2's, so no way to measure a S-1, to compare.

This measurement is so small, it's not going to be an issue, unless you are a "rivet counter'. The detail, for the money, makes this seem insignificant, compared to the price of brass. Just a thought, although the P2K stuff might be off, as well. (IF the Atlas stuff is off) As part of a group of close to 300 locos, and counting, I doubt ANYONE would catch the missing inches, considering the overwhelming size of the almost complete HO LVRR diesel roster......... :-D

#485435  by CAR_FLOATER

Apparently they have finally arrived from China, just in time for the New Year, as evidenced by this new eBay listing I saw tonight.......
Atlas HO Scale, ALCo S-2 Lehigh Valley #157
NIB Item number: 300186353389

CF

#485873  by GOLDEN-ARM

I bought one, to see how they fare against what I'm doing. As stated, I will paint over it, when I'm done, into a well worn "EMD" styled three stripe scheme, with hints of the pre-war showing through. (yeah, I know, there's actually more than three stripes)

#485935  by CAR_FLOATER

Now THAT is a good idea, though I think I'd rather paint my own shell rather than waste trying it on a $90 Atlas pre-painted one.......Easier to control the effect, too. If you don't want the shell, I'll buy it from ya!

CF

#486370  by GOLDEN-ARM

Well, I got mine from eBay, for $72.00. It's worth it, as I still needed 4 more, so I still need three. After painting it over the pre-war, I'll decide if I want 3 more, or will just go for more undecs. Just a few more pups, and some early boxcabs, and one-off oddities, and I'm done with the roster, as far as acquiring them all! Now, to begin the massive painting process..... :-D
BTW, CF, I noticed ya bidding on that pre-war pup........ :wink: