Railroad Forums 

• Which is better BNSF or Missouri Gas Energy to work for ????

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#397309  by sugarhill1978

I have been hired by BNSF as a conductor and I am starting there at the end of May in Fort Worth, TX , and I was so excited when I got this great news, but I have a little problem while I was waiting on BNSF for my start date and location (because they cancelled my first class and start date in Kansas City, Kansas) I interviewed with the Missouri Gas Energy and they want to offer me a position, it is union and good pay about 40k start 50-55k later on per year and I know it is secure, I would love to work for BNSF, but is secure like the gas company and if u say, NO its not just because I am going to start as the low man how long would it take to become secure, since I'll start to move up the ranks sooner or later? I was always told as a little boy railroad is the place to be for security, great pay and retirement, is that still true today ? and also is there a lot of work in Ft. Worth, TX or am I going to get layed off or bumped out that location. I just wanted to ask you railroaders because u have wisdom I need to hear Thank You. and don't be a smart ass please. Thank You again

P.S. BNSF in Ft Worth is a 5 year primary location and thats ok with me, will they keeping work there, because I want to move and live there and not go any where else, unless I have to because I'm layed off. So could they keep my working. Also I from Kansas City, Mo and the gas company is in Kansas city, Mo. but I would like to relocate with BNSF, just need to know is this a good secure move or not? And do u guys like your job as railroaders or not, whats they pros and cons?

#397456  by bubbaXjoe

Sugarhill,
Welcome, First off whether or not you will be "Secure" all depends on Seniority and location. Generally your first few years are the rough ones, I know out here in South Dakota your first winter is usually the worst. One of the key factors in how much you will work is how you draw during your Seniority draw during training. Once again this is based off my expericance in SD, I cant say how it is in Tx. After all is said and done and you can hold at your home terminal I would have to say it is a great job. You will make more money in the long run and as you know the retirement is great. The work (or lack of) can be very boring at times, there is quite allot of hurry up and wait and even more sitting around. You will work nights, weekends and holidays, and they can and will call you at all hours. All in all it depends on Seniority- Seniority -Seniority
it could take a year it could take five to be holding steady work. In my opinion its worth waiting out the hard times because in the end its well worth it. Our local chairman keeps rumoring on mass retirements during the next 5-10 years saying that half the Railroad will be gone. With that being said it could be possible to move up in the ranks at a decent rate.
I hope some of this makes since and helped in some form, good luck in your decision and hope to see you down the line sometime.

#397812  by Peace_Maker

If you can get on as a trainman, do it. Those guys get pampered, and thier union takes great care of them.

#399955  by MNRR_RTC

Honestly, if you don't mind working all hours and not knowing what days off you or if you can or can't take a day off to spend with the family, work for the BNSF. You probably will get better stability with hours and days off with the Gas company and the money will be about the same. Just my opinion.

#400123  by resauto

I have some friends still furloughed in Ft. Worth...................be prepared not to be workinmg alot and be prepared to be moved around alot, Ft. Worth old heads arn't going any where for a long time its going to take years to hold even the crappiest yard job there....good luck

#400213  by CB&Q Fan

sugarhill1978,

I work for a major utility and stability with days off and hours is not something to expect working in a power block or on a line crew. We work call-ins constantly, work weekends and most holidays due to reduced power demand. As far as secure, over the past few years, we have reduceed compliment from about 2200 employees to just under 800. The pay is good, very good with overtime, however the family life has been impacted with cancelled vacations and missing kids events. Thought I would give you the non-railroad side.

#400319  by MNRR_RTC

CB&Q Fan wrote:sugarhill1978,

I work for a major utility and stability with days off and hours is not something to expect working in a power block or on a line crew. We work call-ins constantly, work weekends and most holidays due to reduced power demand. As far as secure, over the past few years, we have reduceed compliment from about 2200 employees to just under 800. The pay is good, very good with overtime, however the family life has been impacted with cancelled vacations and missing kids events. Thought I would give you the non-railroad side.
The grass always seems greener on the otherside.

#400346  by resauto

It was just on the news here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that BNSF is laying off 400 more people.

#400519  by sugarhill1978

resauto:

I don't think 400 people got layed off in Ft worth I think 400 people system wide, and when did your friends start , so basin Fort worth basiclly your saying it is a waste of time to even mess with BNSF this job would suck or if they offered u a job u would turn it down.

#400866  by resauto

I meant 400 system wide..not just here in Ft. Worth. I did actaully turn down BNSF here in Ft.Worth and hired on with KCS in Wylie Tx instead. BNSF over hires and your not guaranteed you will have a job when your done with training, they may lay you off before you even get a chance to even mark up. I have some friends who have been there around 3 years and sitll cant hold the crappies yard job; here at KCS a year and a half will hold a pool job with no worries...its a tough descison but you really got to do your home work when choosing the RR to work for. KCS doesnt ay as much but at least I can hold a job and not worry bout people from all around the US bumping me off a job, I still make a great deal of money when it comes down to pay day

#401203  by sugarhill1978

well I guess I just start with BNSF then move on to another railroad after that, if it is crazy, and why can't I go to KCS or UP or Norfolk Southern or CXS after BNSF? I heard it may be rough the first couple of years but they said they had some thing called work retention at BNSF for when work gets slow.

#403545  by Komachi

Okay, kids...

It's with a hit of treapidation that I have unlocked this thread.

You may resume CIVIL DISCUSSION of the topic. Please respect each other's comments and opinions and if you have an opposing view of another poster, please state so CIVILLY, else I whip out my magic lock and put this thread on perminant lockdown.... maybe even erase it from total exsistance.

(Cue ominous music and lighting effects) Do not make me regret this decision.