• Railroads In Burlington County

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by choochoochuck272

Well, since I've been raised in Burlington County...I've always wondered what the exact railroad situation is. The closest train to my house other than the NJ Transit-Atlantic City line would be this freight line that runs through Lumberton, Mount Laurel, and other places. Could someone tell me what railroad this is (Conrail, I assume), where it runs to, and is it in use? Also, what other rail lines run through Burlington County. Thanks.

by JJMDiMunno

This topic now moved to NJ Railfan Forum, where it is more appropriate...

Mike DiMunno

by JJMDiMunno

The railroad you're referring to through Mt. Laurel, etc should be Conrail's Pemberton Industrial Track...the former PRR "back road", which Chuchubob has made famous here and elsewhere through his extensive photography. Runs now from Park Avenue in West Merchantville to Mt. Holly...formerly ran to Pemberton and beyond. Now traversed three times weekly, by Conrail's CA-20 local from Camden. Most major customer certainly the Hainesport Industrial Park in Hainesport, a customer there which happens to be filled with controversy these days due to what some would consider "illegal" practices...

As for other railroads, one of which comes to mind is the NJT River Line, former Conrail Bordentown Secondary and former PRR Bordentown Branch.

Part of the Robbinsville Industrial Track should also be in Burlco, controlled by Conrail...that's up off of the River Line in Bordentown. Used to be Conrail block station ROB back in the day of the Bordentown Secondary...

In terms of abandoned railroads, I believe a portion of the ex-CNJ Southern Division ran through the pine barrens in Burlington County from Winslow to around Chatsworth or so...this became Conrail's Southern Secondary until it's demise in '78...

Bob's probably got photos of all of the above...maybe he'll share some with us here...

That's all that's popping into my mind for Burlco...

Mike DiMunno

by choochoochuck272

Thank you so much :-D

by choochoochuck272

Thank you so much :-D