• CSX pushed back to july 8th

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by yamaharz350

i was suppose to go to atlanta in may, that has been pushed back to july 8th, anyone else been pushed to july?

by Virginia_Cajun

I am supposed to start on April 15, but my test results may cause it to pushed back to May 20. My wife is due on May 20!!! I will miss the 1st 6 weeks of my child's life if this happens.

by yamaharz350

i just finished my strength test, hope i passed, looking forward to july 8th

Yep

by On GO

If nothing changes!!!????!!!! I will leave UNF in Jacksonville on July 6th and start in Atlanta July 8th. Was bumped back two weeks.
  by iconlooker

Hello all. I received information that I will be heading down to Atlanta for training at the REDI center May 20th. My interview was back on Friday April 13th. Wow what a day for an interview. After 2 weeks of the interview, the strength test, the physcial and just waiting around, they called me the other day stating that I passed all my tests. I am looking forward to a career change for me. I was working in an automotive factory as a hands on Supervisor. I spent 12 years working my way up but as luck would have it, they closed the doors and sent our products overseas. I have been off work since January 28th and am looking forward to working again. You can only watch so much TV during the day (yuck). I will be staying at the Holiday Inn on Virginia Ave only a short distance from Turner Field. I am a Braves fan and it would be nice to catch a game live instead of watching them up here on TV in Indiana. Anyone else heading to Atlanta on May 20th?

by Scrappy

yamaharz350 wrote:i just finished my strength test, hope i passed, looking forward to july 8th
What does the strength consist of. I should be taking mine soon.

by slchub

"I will miss the 1st 6 weeks of my child's life if this happens."

And the majority of the next 18 years as well.

Sad but true.

by Virginia_Cajun

I made through 3 weeks and 1 day of training and I received a call that my wife was rushed to hospital. Her blood pressure was way high and she has placsemia(SP). They are doing c-section tommorrow!

The folks at the Redi Center without any questions or maybe this or that, sent me home Tuesday to be here! Wow! That tells me alot about this company. The thing is, I have to start my training over, but that is ok. I will be with my wife and see my son born...I am very happy about that. I am guessing that I will be in the July 8 class?

by On GO

Congrats. on you new born (to be). I hate that you had to leave but glad you will be there for your wife and child.
  by Browns Town

iconlooker wrote:Hello all. I received information that I will be heading down to Atlanta for training at the REDI center May 20th. My interview was back on Friday April 13th. Wow what a day for an interview. After 2 weeks of the interview, the strength test, the physcial and just waiting around, they called me the other day stating that I passed all my tests. I am looking forward to a career change for me. I was working in an automotive factory as a hands on Supervisor. I spent 12 years working my way up but as luck would have it, they closed the doors and sent our products overseas. I have been off work since January 28th and am looking forward to working again. You can only watch so much TV during the day (yuck). I will be staying at the Holiday Inn on Virginia Ave only a short distance from Turner Field. I am a Braves fan and it would be nice to catch a game live instead of watching them up here on TV in Indiana. Anyone else heading to Atlanta on May 20th?
Virginia Ave is a craphole. Pack heat. Haha.

I thought CSX wasn't using that hotel anymore, thats what I heard from a new guy at my location that just left the REDI center, so I dunno.

And even so, Virginia Ave is not THAT close to Turner Field, like not by any means walking distance.

No grocery stores or even mini marts really. You have a liquor store, 2 gas stations, Arbys, KFC, a Chinese restaurant, mexican and a bar across the street.

Good luck though, we survived, you'll make it too. Hopefully someone in your class will have driven down instead of flown, and hopefully that guy is cool enough to take you for a trip to a store once in awhile.

by Browns Town

Scrappy wrote:
yamaharz350 wrote:i just finished my strength test, hope i passed, looking forward to july 8th
What does the strength consist of. I should be taking mine soon.
You just sit at this machine that is hooked up to a computer and you do 5 reps of various things with your arms and legs and back. It's nothing. If you are a grown man (or woman!), and I assume you are, you'll be fine unless you have something severely wrong with a joint or muscle or whatever.

by CSX Conductor

Yes, they are still putting the "Lemon-Heads" in the Holiday in over there. The engineer trainees, car inspector trainees and machinist trainees stay in Smyrna.......nicer area. :-D

by Virginia_Cajun

To say the least! I spent 3 plus weeks there and will have to go for 6 more weeks. I flew there, but when I go back I am driving. Drive if you want to shop in a decent area and get out of that pathetic area! We went to the Braves game last Saturday night and 4 of us spent 52 bucks on a ride there and back. It several miles from the hotel. They told us that the hotel was by Turner Field, but that is not even close to the truth!

As far as the "hotel" goes, it is a OLD MOTEL that has been painted with new carpet and wallpaper. WARNING...there is MOLD in the them and all the guys were sick. The shower and AC/window have mold and I am stil sick! BTW, it took TWO WEEKS for me to get a frig and a microwave!!! It sucks!

by SooLineRob

Virginia_Cajun wrote:...there is MOLD in the them and all the guys were sick. The shower and AC/window have mold and I am stil sick!
Congrats on your first on-duty injury ... LOL!
  by iconlooker

Browns Town wrote:
iconlooker wrote:Hello all. I received information that I will be heading down to Atlanta for training at the REDI center May 20th. My interview was back on Friday April 13th. Wow what a day for an interview. After 2 weeks of the interview, the strength test, the physcial and just waiting around, they called me the other day stating that I passed all my tests. I am looking forward to a career change for me. I was working in an automotive factory as a hands on Supervisor. I spent 12 years working my way up but as luck would have it, they closed the doors and sent our products overseas. I have been off work since January 28th and am looking forward to working again. You can only watch so much TV during the day (yuck). I will be staying at the Holiday Inn on Virginia Ave only a short distance from Turner Field. I am a Braves fan and it would be nice to catch a game live instead of watching them up here on TV in Indiana. Anyone else heading to Atlanta on May 20th?

I thought CSX wasn't using that hotel anymore, thats what I heard from a new guy at my location that just left the REDI center, so I dunno.
And even so, Virginia Ave is not THAT close to Turner Field, like not by any means walking distance.

No grocery stores or even mini marts really. You have a liquor store, 2 gas stations, Arbys, KFC, a Chinese restaurant, mexican and a bar across the street.

Good luck though, we survived, you'll make it too.
Hopefully someone in your class will have driven down instead of flown, and hopefully that guy is cool enough to take you for a trip to a store once in awhile.
I will be driving down myself. I am leaving out of here Saturday the 19th. I think it will be best for me to arrive a day before due to traffic problems and hopefully no car problems. I called down to the Holiday Inn and said that I would be there the day before and asked about a fridge and microwave. She said that the hotel was going to purchase more units to supply the csx employees during their stay. She did not however say when they were getting these items. I see Turner Field is somewhat of a drive and not walking distance from the hotel. Taking the car seems better than getting a taxi. But from what I have been reading, there is going to be some homework. So I guess it's homework-1st playtime 2-nd.