• CSX pushed back to july 8th

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Scrappy

Does the Holiday Inn have internet access? Also would it be safe to leave a laptop in your room during the day or can you/should you bring it with you to training.

by CJ737

Yes- there is internet access at the hotel, there's also wireless access in your room if you want to bring a laptop. Its safe to bring one and leave it in your room- just hang out whenever the maid cleans your room. I would'nt bring it to class - there really isnt much time or place to use it. And yeah- they definitely keep you busy studying, with a quiz on the previous days stuff everyday and a test every week. I'm in my fifth week and definitely wishing I had brought my car...

by Browns Town

Scrappy wrote:Does the Holiday Inn have internet access? Also would it be safe to leave a laptop in your room during the day or can you/should you bring it with you to training.
I had my laptop with me, plus an X-box and games and cd's and all kinds of goodies - never had any problems with maids taking anything. Only problem I had at that hotel was receiving mail there. Several times while waiting on funds via mail, they decided I was not there and shipped the money return to sender. :(

The pool is actually kinda nice. They have a small workout room which is just basic stuff like treadmills and elipticals. You can stand out on the 4th floor and check out planes flying in and out of the airport. Woo hoo! Hahaha or you can walk up and down Virginia and check out the bums and crackheads. :wink:

It's about a 7 minute drive to the airport, which you can take tehir shuittle to for free, and once you are there, you can hop on the train to downtown, or wherever.

Personally if you like to have a "good time" I recommend at least one night, preferably a weekend, and you take the train north of downtown to an area called Buckhead. There is a nice little bar there called Makos. Sheesh. Oh what a night.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=36693090

Other stuff in Buckhead is ESPN Zone, Coyote Ugly, etc.

http://www.buckhead.net/bars/

Have fun!

Oh one more thing, if you get a chance to go to Stone Mountain, do it. And don't be a sissy, climb up it instead of riding the gondola up there. :wink:

by iconlooker

Well I am down here in Atlanta at the Holiday Inn. The hotel is pretty big and busy. The pool area is nice to sit down and do your homework there instead of in your room. My first full week here has been pretty overwhealing due to the fact of all the information they shove at you the first week. Quiz after quiz, information, paperwork, study this study that, work on the signals, work on the signals; I must say though, I am averaging a 92% the first week and have 95% of the signals memorized. It's hard right now but after you keep repeating yourself with the same questions and same answers, it all comes together. Yesterday (Friday) the Redi Center just had a class graduate. My instructor told our class that the next new hires will be starting in two weeks. I guess that would be around July 8th like some of you have been chatting about in here. For some I guess that would be something to get excited about. Maybe you have received that phone call to get ready by now? Good luck to you and be ready to study study study.
  by Scrappy

iconlooker wrote:. My instructor told our class that the next new hires will be starting in two weeks. I guess that would be around July 8th like some of you have been chatting about in here. For some I guess that would be something to get excited about. Maybe you have received that phone call to get ready by now? Good luck to you and be ready to study study study.

Would that be for Track Workers also? I had my strength test on May 15th and it says "Ready to Hire" on my status.

Just getting anxious.

by cifn2

SooLineRob wrote:
Virginia_Cajun wrote:...there is MOLD in the them and all the guys were sick. The shower and AC/window have mold and I am stil sick!
Congrats on your first on-duty injury ... LOL!
that will be denied lol
  by iconlooker

iconlooker wrote:Well I am down here in Atlanta at the Holiday Inn. The hotel is pretty big and busy. The pool area is nice to sit down and do your homework there instead of in your room. My first full week here has been pretty overwhealing due to the fact of all the information they shove at you the first week. Quiz after quiz, information, paperwork, study this study that, work on the signals, work on the signals; I must say though, I am averaging a 92% the first week and have 95% of the signals memorized. It's hard right now but after you keep repeating yourself with the same questions and same answers, it all comes together. Yesterday (Friday) the Redi Center just had a class graduate. My instructor told our class that the next new hires will be starting in two weeks.
I guess that would be around July 8th like some of you have been chatting about in here.
Sorry I forgot what month it was. Two weeks would be June 8th weekend not July 8th. Sorry.
  by iconlooker

Just completed my second week down here at the REDI. Still a lot of information they throw at ya but all this information is needed out on the road. Passed my signals test on Tuesday and still maintaining a 97.5% grade average. Good enough for now. The next week will be outside and most of us in our class are looking forward to that. Hope it don't rain even though it is needed down here. Has not rained since I have been here the last two weeks. Some of the guys here at the hotel still have not received a fridge or a microwave but the hotel is working on it. Oh sure they bought new pool furniture and new bedding, but where are the appliances? I myself don't have a microwave yet. Anyone coming down in the near future might want to think about bringing their own. Just a heads up. But there is a good side of this story. Delta airlines must be having a training class as well due to the fact that their are several stewardess staying at the hotel. It makes for a good view at the pool area on the weekend.

by scooterz66

I myself am new to the board. *waves* I also am scheduled to be in Atlanta for the July 8th class. I got my phone call this morning. I was told that I'll be at the H.I. Sounds like a real joy. I'm just waiting to hear on my info for the flight down.

by dvsnbell

Yeah, I work for Delta and they have us all stay on Virginia. I've stayed at them all at one point in time in my career. The nicest being Double Tree and the Hilton. The worst being Red Roof Inn. I like the Holiday Inn! Make sure you try "The Kitchen," and "Spondivits." Good eatin's.