Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned IC line from Oglesby to Bloomington IL

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#339714  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Abandoned IC line from Oglesby to Bloomington IL

I have been researching this line and have found a few photos of Locomotives on the trackage but not much else. Anyone have an idea of when the line was Abandoned?

#359164  by Scotty Burkhardt

I know alot of the old IC trackage in central Illinois was torn up around 1996-97.

#362457  by bn13814

Scotty Burkhardt wrote:I know alot of the old IC trackage in central Illinois was torn up around 1996-97.
Actually, IC removed most of its branchlines in Central Illinois between 1977 and 1987. The Charter Line lost its through trains (a pair of daily Freeport - Clinton manifests) in 1983 and sections of the line were abandoned by late 1985.

#372377  by MR77100

Most of the Charter Line, (more commonly referred to as the Gruber Line), was abandoned in 1985. The last train ran on December 21st of that year. The segment between Bloomington and El Paso may have been torn up a year earlier. The Charter Line was the first railroad land grant in Illinois back in 1851, and served as the IC's main route until the Champaign line was constructed. Does anyone know if there are any books with photos from the early 1980's?

#373139  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Wenona City hall has many Pictures (Large Pictures) hanging on the walls. Next time I get home early enough I'll try to take some pics.