Railroad Forums 

• Out of Service Insurance

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#337946  by rustyrails

I work for a Railroad that is getting crazy about puling people out of service for anything. I was going to purchase some out of service insurance. Most likely from BRCF as I had a “policy “in the past. I am aware that things within my own control will not be covered such as absenteeism and insubordination.

I am wondering if anyone has heard any down side to the insurance companies actually paying the claims. I am looking at paying between 400-500 dollars annually for the coverage and interested in any experiences on collecting you claim money.

csx

#337981  by CSX-COAL HAULER

I know they are starting to put the SCREWS to guys here at CSX. I would definately get a policy if you work for the railroad. We just recently had a crew get fired for going by a red signal----get this---the conductor was 4,0000 feet behind the engines-they were cutting a road crossing and the conductor cut the cars and then told the Engineer to pull ahead---well the engineer did pull ahead-he went about an additional 200 yards and went right by a red signal----the conductor did not even know it untill he was at the motel and the trainmaster came and picked him up (2 hours later} Csx has a thing with if one goes the whole crew goes. :-D
 #337989  by steemtrayn

CSX-COAL HAULER wrote:I know they are starting to put the SCREWS to guys here at CSX. I would definately get a policy if you work for the railroad. We just recently had a crew get fired for going by a red signal----get this---the conductor was 4,0000 feet behind the engines-they were cutting a road crossing and the conductor cut the cars and then told the Engineer to pull ahead---well the engineer did pull ahead-he went about an additional 200 yards and went right by a red signal----the conductor did not even know it untill he was at the motel and the trainmaster came and picked him up (2 hours later} Csx has a thing with if one goes the whole crew goes. :-D
But if he's exonerated at the hearing, he gets back pay, right?

csx

#337998  by CSX-COAL HAULER

The conductor got 30 days and the engineer has been terminated will probably end up coming back in 3 or 4 months-both did not have job insurance.

#338019  by Noel Weaver

BR&CF has been around for a long, long time and they have had a top
notch reputation over the years. Incidentally with them, it is not
considered a policy but rather membership which comes in a number of
different levels. I maintained membership in the BR&CF for a good many
years and upon my retirement in 1997, I got a nice retirement check.
Naturally, the railroad industry is not happy that this insurance is around
and available as it reduces the effectiveness of their discipline.
It is well worth the money spent on it.
Noel Weaver
 #338075  by SooLineRob

Mr. Weaver has made an excellent point regarding BR&CF.

You're buying a membership from them, not an insurance policy. And there's a big difference between the two terms.

BR&CF (Brotherhood Relief and Compensation Fund) is an organization made up of former railroad employees. They've "been there, done that" and know how railroads discipline people. They're not a "for profit" company. Money they collect in dues/premiums is the member's money; therefore there's no point to denying reasonable claims and making a profit for the organization.

All the other job insurance plans are written by insurance companies. For profit companies. And they're not run by former rails. The major difference here is once a claim is paid, the insurance companies can require you to pay them back if your union overturns your discipline case and you're "made whole" with back pay/lost time.

What did I just say? That's right! BRCF has no means nor ability to demand funds paid out to be returned; it's not in their by-laws. But, any other plan can demand their money back; they insure against lost wages, but once you get your wages back, they want their money back.

I know one case where a guy served 30 days. A year later, he won his case and was made whole. The little P.O.S. Trainmaster knew he collected job insurance, made a phone call, and the poor guy had to pay back his money!

In order to verify my statements, I urge everyone looking at "canned plans" to call each one and talk to a claims agent, not just some flunky that answers the phones. Ask them point blank: "...If my suspension/dismissal gets overturned at a later date and I'm reinstated with back pay, do I have to pay back the money your plan gave me?" BRCF will tell you NO, the money's yours to keep, congratulations on winning your case. The others will say YES, we can request the money be paid back only if we find out you won your case, so don't tell us about it.

There are other complications to the job insurance plans, too. Say for example you're an Amtrak hogger out of Denver and you "bump" into a BNSF freight train stopped ahead of you. Amtrak gives you 30 days, but the BNSF bars you from their track for 180. What do you collect? Amtrak's 30 or BNSF's 180? Your employer allows you to "work" after 30, but you can't really "work". How do you collect the other 150 days? Or you're an NS Conductor that works a regular job on a pig train from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg. Your hoghead does something goofy in Harrisburg and you get 15 days as a result, in addition to a 90 day bar from coming into the Harrisburg Division's Harrisburg terminal. Well, your job goes to Harrisburg, you can't work it, so do you collect 15 or 90 days?

Don't waste your time asking your co-worker that's trying to sell you "their" policy... call the company that issues the plan and ask a top level person these questions, and be governed accordingly.

As a post script, I fly the friendly skies with two plans... a $102/day BRCF and $100/day "other"... that way if I get splattered, my wife will collect 2 life insurance pay outs. Each plan requires a minimum premium to qualify for the Accidental Death benefit, so I pay the two minimums and have $200/day coverage from two companies instead of one...

#341159  by Lincoln78

I do not know the nature of this insurance, but understand the ethics of the situation noted by soolinerob.

If you claim a lost item on your insurance and then find the item, it is not yours, but rather the insurance company’s. You waived rights to the item when you cashed the claim check (depends on how the contract is written/deductible notwithstanding/etc)(I am not in the legal field).

In this case, is the ‘insurance company” a mutual aid society made up of your peers? Was the trainmaster covered by the same insurance? Should the next guy who collects a claim and then has his pay reinstated just go in your house and steal your next payment to save time?