Railroad Forums 

• What to expect from NS?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#332323  by sarron7

Hi all,

I've been set up for my physical and background check, I've read almost every NS related thread on this forum (I think) and I'm wondering what to expect next.

I know that I'll pass the physical, I've got the background check covered. I don't think that I'll have any problems with the training as long as I study and put in the work.

But what I want to know is...What is life like on the yard? Is it the land of death and dismemberment that some have made it out to be? (would I be better off in Fallujah?) Or will I be reasonably safe as long as I pay attention and follow all the safety rules?

I don't want to go through all this to be fired for something stupid, if anyone has any suggestions or helpful hints please respond or pm me.

Thanks

#332401  by NS212

As long as you are 110% alert and have your mind set on what you're doing you'll be fine. One slip-up can cost you a limb or even your life, but you should be ok. When you start the OJT, make sure you do things the way you were taught and not another way that the conductor you're with shows you. The TM's like to sit out in the bushes hidden from your view and watch what you do. If you make a mistake they let you know and talk about what you did wrong. Remember, keep your mind on what you're doing and follow the rules.

Kevin

#332513  by TBRED

The third question in the third paragraph puts it all in a nutshell.If you try not to do wrong you don't get in trouble,Or go home missing a few extremities.Enjoy..................

#351209  by HEMI_HARVESTER

remember they CAN"T and WON"T say anything to you for going slow IF you follow the rules! AND FOLLOw rules. If you go slow and break the rules thy will think your screwing them and that is where the trouble starts.

A SUPT told us " we don't pay you to switch boxcars, We pay you to switch boxcars by the rules"

Work like you are making a safety video, make them sick, you follow the rules so good!