Railroad Forums 

• Static Hang Test: Part II

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#329736  by NS212

Hello everyone, I'll be going back to Georgia tomorrow for my next attempt at this hang test. I should be able to get through it this time because I tested my self and I did fine but nonetheless just wish me luck anyway, I'll need as much of that as I can get :)..all or nothing this time around. BTW thanks for the replys about the hang test when I first posted. Everyones information was quite helpful. :-)

Kevin

#329752  by BigMike

Good Luck! Just try and relax and youll do fine. :wink:

#329770  by git a holt to it

whats a hang test

#329786  by NS212

The static hang test is where you have to hang from a mock-up boxcar ladder for a given amount of time. You hold your self up with one hand while giving hand signals with the other and then switching half way through.

Kevin

#329794  by git a holt to it

never heard of that one must be a fairly new test.
 #330339  by jz441

NS212 wrote:Hello everyone, I'll be going back to Georgia tomorrow for my next attempt at this hang test. I should be able to get through it this time because I tested my self and I did fine

Kevin
Well... How did it go? Are you in?
 #332539  by git a holt to it

COEN77 wrote:
jz441 wrote:
Well... How did it go? Are you in?
Did he make it?
Maybe not posting in a week is a good sign, too busy training.

#332622  by NS212

To anyone concerned I did not make it again. I was literally seconds away from passing and my hand cramped up soo bad and slipped off :( . I was quite upset to get so close only to have my dreams ripped away from me in a split second. It's not gonna get me down though. I may just wait another year or so and give my self some time before I try again. I'm only 18 after all and I've got my whole life ahead of me to railroad. I guess I was just soo excited about being out of high school and getting started working. I do have a good chance to get on with a shortline r.r. for the time being, my 2nd cousin manages the crews so he may be able to get me a job. Maybe starting out small is the way to go and then with some experience under my belt, get on with NS again.

Kevin

#332639  by gp9rm4108

It is totally bogus that they are making you do those lame tests. I don't think I have ever hung from the side of a car for more than a minute without shifting my grip. Mind you I always stand on the first rung if its there ... but still cars where you have to hang ... you can't not shift your grip.

I will say it again ... my medical for CN here in Canada was this ....

1. Paperwork for all kinds of crap ... medical history, alcohol useage etc.
2. Hearing test
3. Vision test
4. Colour blindness test
5. Blood pressure
6. Measure neck circumference
7. Feel stomach for lumps
8. Doc says "Anything else I should know about?"
9. Doc says "Have a good day"

#332699  by git a holt to it

Go west young man. No stupid hang tests out here.

#332762  by NS212

That's what I've heard from several people and I'm seriously considering it! :-)

#336239  by route_rock

Come on over to BN we could care less how long you hang on the side of a car. My opinion is if you hang on a car to the point of tiring your doing something wrong. :-D

#336554  by NS212

Some say I was holding on too tight, putting more stress on my forearm and that I needed to loosen my grip up. Maybe that could of been the problem. But hopefully in a few years I'll be headed out that way. I've heard a lot of good things about BNSF, hopefully they were true. :-)

#336570  by git a holt to it

Don't know what you heard about the BN but from what I read about the NS its definately a big step up.
Don't wait to long, seniority is everything.