• New kid

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by toberborgan

I thought that i'd just ask a brief overview of any type of postions that people have on this forum. thanks
Last edited by toberborgan on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by steemtrayn

toberborgan wrote:Hi, I'm only 15 but i've stumbled across RR jobs a couple weeks ago and am very interested in entering the railroad buisness. However, i'm pretty unaware of what goes on with getting, and maintaning jobs. I thought that i'd just ask a brief overview of any type of postions that people have on this forum. People on this forum seem to have a lot of experience with railroad postions so I was just wondering if anyone could fill me in on the overview of the whole process and/or advice etc. I live around Chicago and am interested in freight, I'm thinking of entering brake operator and then working my way up. I'm not even sure if this is the right thread to be asking here? Sorry if so.

Thanks
It will be a while before a railroad will hire you. In the meantime, maybe you could volunteer some time at a local railroad museum or tourist line.

by Aji-tater

Welcome Tober. I think some of your questions will be answered if you go through the back pages of these forums. Even though some may be several months ago, there is a lot of good information ( and some not so good)

You will find there are good things and bad things about working for a railroad. It's not all fun and glory waving to pretty girls as you roar along in the sunshine on nice shiny engines. On the other hand it is a career that some people would not trade for the world, despite the negative parts.

I would give you 3 pieces of advice at this stage:

1. Read all you can and learn about railroading, the good, the bad, and everything else. The suggestion above about getting involved with a museum is a good idea.

2. Stay in school and AT LEAST get a high school diploma. You can't work for a railroad as a paid employee until you're 18 anyway so focus on that. In those 3 years you will have a lot more information to make your career choices with.

3. Stay off the booze and drugs. I'm not suggesting you would get into that but it's easier to not start than to get in trouble. Yes, many railroaders do enjoy "adult beverages" when off duty but at your age stay clear and focus on keeping a good record for yourself, that will help when it's time to hire out if that's what you decide to do.

Good luck!

by SteelWheels21

Get your HS diploma and some college under your belt and work for a volunteer operation during your summer breaks. There is no substitution for an education. Plus, you need to live your life a little before you sign on for the "Railroad Life" because they are two entirely different things. Staying off drugs is always good advice, but it is especially sage in this business because booze/drug violations are one of the few things that get you fired permanently out here (not to mention the safety element). Good luck.

by route_rock

Agrees with all posted before. Yes go out and live a bit. I wanted to get hired at 18 as well and lucky for me ( well hindsight is 20/20) I got hired only recently.
You can also ask around here any questions pm me if you have any. I am a Conductor for BNSF currently working as a Hostler.
Good luck.

by toberborgan

thanks to all for the info so far.

by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm gonna add this, and some guys will get mad. Oh well. You shouldn't come here, talking about how you want to be a railroader, and have the interest, etc., then make a post, in another section here, about trespassing, and hopping rides on freight trains. If you are dumb enough to actually trespass, then try to hop rides on moving trains, at least have a little common sense, and don't run your mouth here about it. I don't care, if you hung off the side of a car, for hours. You are not allowed on railroad property, you are not properly trained, and you have no idea, how deadly your little games, really are. Perhaps you need to consider the possibility, of being arrested, for doing that, and then never being allowed to hire out, on a big railroad. You want to work the job? Have respect, for those of us, who are already here, and stay out of the yards, and off the trains. I don't want to hear your mom, yelling at me, about why "I ran you over", while you were breaking the law. Respect, and Recognize................... :(

by Chris_S68

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I'm gonna add this, and some guys will get mad. Oh well. You shouldn't come here, talking about how you want to be a railroader, and have the interest, etc., then make a post, in another section here, about trespassing, and hopping rides on freight trains. If you are dumb enough to actually trespass, then try to hop rides on moving trains, at least have a little common sense, and don't run your mouth here about it. I don't care, if you hung off the side of a car, for hours. You are not allowed on railroad property, you are not properly trained, and you have no idea, how deadly your little games, really are. Perhaps you need to consider the possibility, of being arrested, for doing that, and then never being allowed to hire out, on a big railroad. You want to work the job? Have respect, for those of us, who are already here, and stay out of the yards, and off the trains. I don't want to hear your mom, yelling at me, about why "I ran you over", while you were breaking the law. Respect, and Recognize................... :(
I knew if I didn't say something, somebody (G.A.) would. :wink:

by Noel Weaver

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:I'm gonna add this, and some guys will get mad. Oh well. You shouldn't come here, talking about how you want to be a railroader, and have the interest, etc., then make a post, in another section here, about trespassing, and hopping rides on freight trains. If you are dumb enough to actually trespass, then try to hop rides on moving trains, at least have a little common sense, and don't run your mouth here about it. I don't care, if you hung off the side of a car, for hours. You are not allowed on railroad property, you are not properly trained, and you have no idea, how deadly your little games, really are. Perhaps you need to consider the possibility, of being arrested, for doing that, and then never being allowed to hire out, on a big railroad. You want to work the job? Have respect, for those of us, who are already here, and stay out of the yards, and off the trains. I don't want to hear your mom, yelling at me, about why "I ran you over", while you were breaking the law. Respect, and Recognize................... :(
I absolutely agree with this one 100 per cent. If you are stupid enough to
trespass and take huge risks, I only hope the cops get you before you
get killed out there.
I don't think you are cut out to work on the railroad.
Noel Weaver

by toberborgan

I'm aware of the dangers
Last edited by toberborgan on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by gp9rm4108

If you have been in trouble with the law before ... then thats an automatic strike against you already for getting hired.

by toberborgan

Are the railroad companies real strict regarding education levels?
Last edited by toberborgan on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by TB Diamond

Be prepared to give up any remote semblance to a social life. Junior employes in train and engine service are normally on the extra board and that means working weekends and any given holiday until enough seniority is gained to hold a better job. Also be prepared to not have a vacation when you want one for several years as vacations are bid and won by seniority. As related earlier, railroading is not glory and fun. It is, however, dangerous work wherein any lapse of attention to detail can readily lead to injury or worse.

by toberborgan

no fun at all
Last edited by toberborgan on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by TB Diamond

The fun in railroading is doing the job correctly, getting the train over the road and coming home without injury. There are some great people to work with out there, and it is fun to learn from their experience, as well.