Railroad Forums 

• New kid

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#321494  by toberborgan

class 3
Last edited by toberborgan on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#321532  by Aji-tater

The larger railroads, and some of the small ones, are unionized and they work on seniority. The guys who have been there longer have first choice on the jobs. New hires usually spend a lot of time on the "extra list" or "spare board" where you work jobs as they become available, regardless of time of day or day of the week. After you've been there for a long time you might be able to count on a set schedule but for the first few years forget it.

Some short lines are non-union, and some of them only run daytimes and weekdays. So that's a plus - on the minus side they usually pay less than the big railroads. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a lot less.

It's your choice.

#321832  by GOLDEN-ARM

toberborgan wrote:It wasnt a little game. it was my only source of transportation to reach a destination of sleep for that night. I'm aware of the dangers, and the law. I've been in trouble with the law before so i'm not ignorant torwards the subject. I realize that you get sensitive to the fact of death on the tracks and what not, and why souldn't you be? it's a serious thing. But it wasn't just some stupid action for "fun" I realize i stated that, but thats not what I meant. I think it's pretty ridiculous that I should stay away from the railroad buisness b/c I'm jumped onto a freight before. I'm not some madmann who's going to abuse the train rules when/if i get hired.
Oh, well, as long as it was IMPORTANT for you to ride, that settles that. "Aware of the dangers"? Man, you don't have a clue. See my first post, where I mentioned, if you are stupid enough to do it, pretend to be smart enough, to shut the hell up about. (sorry about running 14 red lights, officer. see, i needed to get a soda, and i was really thirsty, and besides, i know the dangers, and i'm not a madman, or anything..........) :(

#321895  by toberborgan

GOLDEN-ARM wrote: Oh, well, as long as it was IMPORTANT for you to ride, that settles that.(sorry about running 14 red lights, officer. see, i needed to get a soda, and i was really thirsty, and besides, i know the dangers, and i'm not a madman, or anything..........) :(
I'm glad we see eye to eye on things :-)

#322186  by GOLDEN-ARM

Well, the Kid's got Moxie, I'll give him that much................. :-D

#323308  by route_rock

lol Yes he does. You want a schedule young one, get into yard service. Even on the extra board at least you have to be there only 8 hours ( unless you get a yard transfer job where you can get stabbed) Most of the locals on BNSF are out one day back the next ( some are day jobs with a 5 or 6 day week) but like posted your going to be on the ole xtra board doing either the jobs the old heads dont want or xtra trains that god forbid we put them on a regular schedule lol.
Plus at least in yard service here we get paid holidays :-D