Railroad Forums 

• Moving Trains

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#316750  by Aji-tater

What do they call a Superintendent's Helper In Training?

--------------
Edited by UPRR

#317067  by GOLDEN-ARM

A "777"................................. :P (is it like "special, high intensity training"?)

Oh Yeah, one last thing. "dilligaf"............................... :P

#317147  by Robert Gift

Good Tater!

Now try to figure out Arm's last item.

#317166  by Aji-tater

LOL - I got it. I can't answer it because I don't KNOW what he looks like, never met him. From what I have read here, I'd say sometimes yes he does give one, while in other cases he certainly does not!

Back to the original topic, it is amazing to me how little it matters to some railroads how badly they perform. Cars sit for days? So what! Car bad ordered? We'll fix it next week. Train short on time? Never mind the set-off, take those 50 cars through to the next terminal, it's only 80 miles farther and we'll bring them back when we can.

It used to be you would be in deep trouble for failing to protect the traffic, while a safety violation would be handled with a discussion of what you did wrong and why it was dangerous. These days you get fired for some "violation" they have dreamed up such as putting your feet in the wrong position. And if a customer's cars sit for days, oh well, dilligaf?

#317177  by Robert Gift

I don't get "dilli"

My uncle said they cared and did the best they could, especially during The War WWII

It's sad that some people don't care, and cause/allow such waste in time and fuel, etc.

#317223  by Aji-tater

dilli would be "Do I Look Like I..."

#317372  by KC8WJG

My favorite was always APE

A ll

P urpose

E mployee

#317380  by Robert Gift

That makes me:
APE Special High Intensity Trained
 #318352  by 2nd trick op

The younger participants here might not be aware that timekeeping was a lot more important back in the days when railroads dominated the freight transportation scene and passenger and freight traffic mixed a lot more often.

In the current scheme of things only dedicated freight like unit automotive and container trains have to keep to a tight schedule. Odds are that if it's in a general-purpose freight, it's not that time-sensitive. Also, a lot more recrewing is done on-the-road, courtesy of Renzenburger, rather than at division points when 100-150 miles was a freight crew's day.

To quote a friend of mine at another forum, the modern railroad is more like a pipleline than a superhighway.

#320004  by BlackDog

Nelson Bay wrote:[quoteOK, can someone interpret all of the above?

quote]

FEC- East of FWC

FNG- Newer than FOG

Short arm- not a WMD

TTFN
"If the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't the PC be on the QT? Because if it leaks out to the VC he could wind up an MIA and then we would all be put on KP."

#321829  by GOLDEN-ARM

OMFG, DILLIGAF? :P

#322001  by BlackDog

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:OMFG, DILLIGAF? :P
No, you don't. :wink:

#322185  by GOLDEN-ARM

Thanks, BD, for noticing. TTFN................ :P