Railroad Forums 

• conditional job offer

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#299888  by NS212

I was interviewed today for a conductor position on NS out of Shenandoah, VA and no more than 5-6 hours later I got the call from them asking if I would like to continue with the conditional offer and letting me know about the physical and backround check that will be coming up. I was just curious about how long after all that is complete will they call me to go down to Georgia? And also for the drug screening they do, how far back can they tell? Just curious because I have heard a lot of different things. Like 90 days or even a year. A year sounds a bit far-fetched to me. I'm very excited!! Can't wait for the call!

Kevin
 #299918  by CertifiedFunds

Drugs are a no no!

#299952  by NS212

Yes, I realize that. Thats why I'm not into that stuff. That was just a question out of curiosity because a lot of people have gotten it mixed up. I was raised better than that. I'm soo anxious to get through the physical and backround check and get that start date!! Nothin' but smiles on my face!!!!!!! :-D

Kevin
 #300427  by esprrfan

For me it was 45 days from the offer to going to school. Be prepared to pay your own way down and back (gas) although you will get paid back later.
 #300771  by NS212

Well my physical, background check, and hearing test are all scheduled for Tues-Wed-Thurs of this coming week. The NS officer said that they are streamlining the process and that the background check won't take as long so hopefully that means I'll be getting a start date sooner! Man I can't wait! :-D

Kevin

#300941  by crazy_nip

there are several types of drug tests

the most common is the urine test

with the urine test you will be clean after 30 days 90% for marijuana
most other drugs leave your system very quickly
- cocaine and heroin after about a week, 2 tops
- "pills" such as most pain killers about 2-3 weeks
- LSD is not detectible via urine test

other blood tests:
Blood test: similiar as urine test

Hair test: potentially detectible for YEARS, depending on the "age" of the hair sample they take. They will take multiple hairs from different areas of your body such as head, chest, etc. NOTE: this test is very expensive and VERY few companies use this.

Spinal Tap: This one is VERY VERY rare. But like hair, it can go back YEARS. Also this is about the only way detection of LSD can be obtained.

I would venture to guess that they do urine tests.

I would personally walk away from any job that required me to do a spinal tap.

I have not done any drugs in YEARS and have never failed any drug test, but I have been forced to take many of them to get jobs.

So the bottom line: lay off the bong for a month before looking for a job.

The truth is, and no one will admit this: "legal" things like alcohol contribute to more accidents, deaths and healthcare costs than illegal drugs. Its just another excuse to keep people in prison and out of work.

#300942  by esprrfan

Don't pee before you go to the physical, you only get 3 hours and like 24oz of water. If you fail to provide a sample, you fail the test.
 #300973  by NS212

Hmm I know they do a hair test. I'm not into smoking or drinking at all so I think I'm good on that. As for the urnine test, I'll be sure and drink a lot of water before I go. LOL

Kevin

btw

#300974  by NS212

BTW, for the hair test they say its detectable for up to 90 days or 3 months.

Kevin