Railroad Forums 

• What's left of the CNJ?

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#570131  by LI Loco

Surprised no one mentioned the remaining stub of the CNJ mainline that runs down to Bayonne almost as far as the east side lead to the old drawbridge over Newark Bay. This line, which runs parallel to the NJ Transit Hudson-Bergen light rail, is single track and hauls mostly chemical traffic in and out of the plants along the Bayonne shorelines.

#615239  by PullmanCo

There was a station at Linden Road crossing, IINM, called "Lorraine".
 #623329  by OportRailfan

anyone care to fill me in as to where on Broad St. in Newark this little gem was?

#623335  by OportRailfan

nevermind...after comparing old track maps with google earth i place it in the vicinity of the prudential center?

*edit* now I exactly got it

Re:

#624829  by Don31

PullmanCo wrote:There was a station at Linden Road crossing, IINM, called "Lorraine".
Yep, it was Lorraine.
 #625199  by OportRailfan

I like the look of freehold.

Were they using the station for anything Kaback, or was it just fenced off like the back?
 #625205  by Kaback9

The station is used by a company. The area behind is technically owned by NJT I believe and leased to the Monmouth County Park System. There used to be some kind of tower in what is now a field along with a few spurs of track. It was also all covered in vegetation from trees to weeds after this part of the line was abandoned. There were alot of Drug Deals going on back there as well as many "illegals" sleeping and hanging out there so they fenced it off. The original plan as I have heard though was to terminate the Henry Hudson Trail there instead of where it currently ends, the problem was they would have needed a bridge or to reroute people via a poorly paved street not to mention where it ends now is much safer than that part of town.
 #648602  by Ken W2KB

jadebullet2 wrote:There is a pair of CNJ F units parked in Jim Thrope, PA.
Not CNJ, but rather another railroad (from State of Maine I seem to recall) painted as CNJ by a historical group. There are no CNJ F units in existance.
 #698020  by Pinewald Station

Part of the Barnegat Branch in Berkeley Twp will start to be converted to rail trail usage this fall. Points south on this former CNJ line have already been converted....