Railroad Forums 

• Freight on the Haverhill line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#20520  by helium

I know I've asked this before, but what is that freight train that runs up the Haverhill line at like 4am? Last night it must have taken 15 minutes to go by, and it's LOUD.

#20560  by CSX Conductor

not sure if it still runs the way it used to years ago, but the New Hampshire NorthCoast's unit sand train for Boston sand & Gravel used to come down into Boston via the Lowell line and then return during the overnight hours taking the more direct route using the Haverhill line. Like I said, I haven't seen or heard anything about that train in about 10 years or so. but by looking at BSG's siding's in Charlestown, it is pretty safe to say that the train still runs daily.

#20590  by helium

Don't know about daily runs, unless they run it in the middle of the day. could they sandwich a freight run on a commuter line without messing with the CR schedule? it only happens maybe 10 times a summer, and never in any other season.

#20630  by Stephen

It is probably NHN's BODO. Most of the time the train runs both ways on the Wildcat and Lowell lines, but it does occassional return north via the Haverhill line.
Its usual consit these days is two engines and about 30 hoppers. On the way north, they are empty, so the potential for a loud roll-by is there.
Stephen

#20756  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

helium, they do squeeze freights in between CR trains. For certain, i know that on the Attleboro, Stoughton section and Middleboro line, they do fit freights in during the day inbetween certain trains when there is time. For instance LB735 (CSX local) operates from Mansfield Industrial to Attleboro almost everyday (M-F), and most of the time, Dispatch puts them behind the #809 T to Attleboro (12:45 arrival)

#20846  by CSX Conductor

I always like the paint scheme on their engines. Is it still the yellow on green?

I have quite a few old pics of them in the B&M's old Lechmere yard.

#20947  by octr202

Its really a green and black with yellow trim. Reminds me a bit of Reading colors, not that I was old enough to have seen the Reading before it became part of Conrail...

They've aquired two new GP-38's, at least one of which is repainted:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... Northcoast

#22296  by CS

Please note that this topic has been moved to the New England Railfan forum. It has little to do with the MBTA so instead of deleting it, I moved it to a more appropriate forum for the topic. In the future, make sure you topic deals with the MBTA directly. Thanks

CS

#22518  by Robert Paniagua

Thank you CS, I have that.

This forum is appropiate for Freight, besides the MBTA doesn't do freight anyways :-D

Thanks again CS, I've taken note of it, and I'll keep it in this NERailfan board.