Railroad Forums 

• NS Conductor Job

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#269542  by ndtommy

I'm thinking about a career change and would like your opinion on Norfolk Southern. What is the good or the bad info on this operation if I decide to be a conductor? I've read a couple of negative posts on NS and was hoping to get some positive news on this railroad. Also, if your injuried on the job, are you eligible to receive workmen's comp benefits? Thanks for any info you can supply
ndtommy
 #274864  by temstcfd

Thinking about the career change. NS is not a bad job,. There are some bad things about the job. If you never worked for the railroad before, when you start you will probably be placed on the spareboard (call in list). You may work 5 or 6 days or even 1 day. (It sucks) I got lucky I was hired in Campbell Hall NY with 5 others. My senoirity out of the 5 was number 3. A five day local switcher postion opened (H09). I got lucky 1 guy went back into computers and the other went to Metro-North. So I got awarded the job. But then there is bumping, you will get bumped probably 1 or 2 times a month. Then there are the trainmasters. It is thier mission to go out and make sure you are following the rules to a tee and if your not they will try to suspend you or even try to fire you. Well if you decide NS good luck.
 #275197  by MNRR_RTC

temstcfd wrote:Thinking about the career change. NS is not a bad job,. There are some bad things about the job. If you never worked for the railroad before, when you start you will probably be placed on the spareboard (call in list). You may work 5 or 6 days or even 1 day. (It sucks) I got lucky I was hired in Campbell Hall NY with 5 others. My senoirity out of the 5 was number 3. A five day local switcher postion opened (H09). I got lucky 1 guy went back into computers and the other went to Metro-North. So I got awarded the job. But then there is bumping, you will get bumped probably 1 or 2 times a month. Then there are the trainmasters. It is thier mission to go out and make sure you are following the rules to a tee and if your not they will try to suspend you or even try to fire you. Well if you decide NS good luck.
I work with that guy who you know that left NS for Metro-North. From he was telling me, he went from hell to heaven. I am soooo glad NS turned me down for a job back in 2000. The reason I got turned down for was because I wanted a good paying job with a future. Go Figure.
 #301430  by NSPeon

ndtommy wrote:I'm thinking about a career change and would like your opinion on Norfolk Southern. What is the good or the bad info on this operation if I decide to be a conductor? I've read a couple of negative posts on NS and was hoping to get some positive news on this railroad. Also, if your injuried on the job, are you eligible to receive workmen's comp benefits? Thanks for any info you can supply
ndtommy
I dont know if it is a RR thing, or a state thing, but here in VA, railroad employees don't get workman's comp.....
 #301486  by amtrakhogger

They (the trainmaster) WILL try to make you make a mistake. One of my co-workers and a former NS employee said one night he witnessed an NS TM go out into the yard and threw a switch against a crew that was drilling!
Luckily, the engr saw that stunt and stopped then jumped (er climbed down) off a proceeded to give that TM a piece of his mind!
It is one thing to enforce the rules but it is another to deliberately try to cause a crew to trip up.
These are their tactics.
 #301514  by Off Pending

ndtommy wrote:I'm thinking about a career change and would like your opinion on Norfolk Southern. What is the good or the bad info on this operation if I decide to be a conductor? I've read a couple of negative posts on NS and was hoping to get some positive news on this railroad. Also, if your injuried on the job, are you eligible to receive workmen's comp benefits? Thanks for any info you can supply
ndtommy
Rail workers injured on the job do not get workman's comp. Because of the nature of the system, you will fall under FELA and have to recoup any lost earnings, excessive medical expenses, and other damages, through litigation against the company.

If you are injured, the claims department will likely try to buy you out of a lawsuit with a lowball offer ... but having a designated legal counsel (law firms that specialize in RR injury cases) take your case will typically lead to a MUCH higher settlement. The only problem, is it will take longer, and you've got to pay your bills in the interim.

That's why many railroaders carry third-party disability insurance, in case they are injured and can't work for an extened period of time.

#303701  by Schuylkill Valley

It's not that NS is a bad RR Co. to work for , it's the corp. people to work for, like in any job. they sit at their desks and think of ways to make your life a mess, lol. It happens with all job. but you have to make the best of it where ever you may go. I know I work for Sears Hardware Store.

Also with NS they been trying so hard to take over the north, you know, a fine southern railroad as they are. put a souther draw to that when you read it. lol.

Have fun,
Len.