Railroad Forums 

• Lowell Line - Winchester, Woburn, Wilmington Spottings

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1579669  by bostontrainguy

Trinnau wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:06 pm You basically have the two yard-to-mainline crossovers in place, the 645 is the number assigned to one of those crossovers, I think the lower one. There is then a sequential crossover in each direction to go from Track 2 to 1 as FX has a set of universal crossovers in-line with the yard crossovers.

I put this together to show the difference between a Yard 10 move via Yard 21 (Green/Yellow) and a no-longer-possible Yard 8 move via the mainline (Red/Orange). The basically straddle either side of Sullivan Square.
Trinnau wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:06 pm You basically have the two yard-to-mainline crossovers in place, the 645 is the number assigned to one of those crossovers, I think the lower one. There is then a sequential crossover in each direction to go from Track 2 to 1 as FX has a set of universal crossovers in-line with the yard crossovers.

I put this together to show the difference between a Yard 10 move via Yard 21 (Green/Yellow) and a no-longer-possible Yard 8 move via the mainline (Red/Orange). The basically straddle either side of Sullivan Square.
And the promised new connecting track would run left to right from the Green track across the yellow track to the Orange and Red tracks. Also if done at the same time (???) a new connection could run left to right from the Green track across to the Mystic Wharf Branch which is where the words "Hood Park Dr" is shown. This would be approximately where the original FX diamonds were.
 #1579685  by bostontrainguy

If you are referring to the Mystic Wharf Branch, I have not heard anything lately but there is a plan for a new haul road/rail corridor to the Mystic Wharfs/Moran Terminal. It would make sense to do it all at the same time. Using OWLS diamonds would eliminate the maintenance concerns that caused the diamonds to be removed in the first place.
 #1594025  by stevefol

And no sooner than I wrote that, it has returned to the NHML. Last night BODO passed after the last train (#342), and was followed by LA-2 shortly after. I wonder, how does it enter BSG - does it do a move into Yard 21 and reverse, or is there a route via the high line that the CR takes into North Station?
 #1600578  by l008com

I've been seeing the gravel train through woburn/wilmington pretty regularly lately, and nothing but commuter rail trains on the haverhill line.

I asked this before but that was a while ago, is there a plan currently for the line parallel to New Washington St in Somerville? At this moment, it has MoW full size train cars parked all up it. I believe last time I brought it up, it was disconnected due to Green Line construction but the plan was to reconnect it at some point. Also it looks like they are rebuildling the bridges on the Lowell Line right by BET? Are they going to run CR trains over this New Wash St side branch during construction? That would make this a very cool spot to watch trains go by!
 #1600590  by bostontrainguy

Yes, the plan is to reopen this track. There is a small section that is not yet built at the west end which is where construction equipment is accessing work sites. Once the work in that area is done, the plan is to rebuild the track and reactivate the line.

The big question is if at that time will they build the connection to Everett (Newburyport/Rockport Line) discussed previously.

Gap:

Re:

#1601172  by l008com

Finch wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:56 pm Hey, I've been thinking about getting out on my bike to go check out the rails in the same area you're riding. I live in the north end of Reading so I can take Concord street over to the Reading/Haverhill line pretty easily. It would be nice to get farther over though to spot some freight trains or Downeasters. I'm looking on Mapquest right now just to see where the tracks are. Isn't that short link between the Wilmington and Reading lines called the "Wildcat cutoff" or something like that? Anyways I'd like to get over there because that's where the Downeaster goes though, and apparently also some Guilford traffic. Any commuter trains on that little stretch of track?
You could take Concord St to 62 and that would get you right to Wilmington Station. I'm not sure if theres many/any freight trains during the day. From there you could head south on 38, veer left on to 129, then head south on Woburn St and that will take you close to the area north of Anderson Station. Both good spots!

If you head North to Andover, you can probably see a lot more freight as Ballardvale. That's a little too far North for my normal thursday bike rides but last time I was in the area for work, this pan am freight went by that just kept going on and on forever. It's a shame I was busy working and couldn't go film it :)