Railroad Forums 

• Lewiston Industrial Track/Lewiston Lower Rd/Branch status

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1353803  by MaineMG

The Lewiston Industrial Track has been hopping all Fall!

Grimmel Industries has been shipping out 5 or more (12 last week! - 8 on Thursday and 4 more on Monday) scrap gons full of shredded automobiles. I have been watching two trips per week by PanAm hauling scrap and empties back and forth. Runs are often on Monday late afternoon and Thursday late afternoons. This is the most activity I have seen on this line since the 1980's. Anyone know where all this scrap is going?
 #1353854  by MaineMG

I have a video I took back on May 20, 2015 of PanAm #354 pulling several loaded scrap gons including GDJX 28 and GDJX 115 ( I believe these are correct, the video isn't all that clear) These same gons have been back for more scrap over the summer I am certain.
 #1354172  by MEC407

Photo by Dan Comick:

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=226579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1390926  by sleepingtree

Beyond the posting of emergency contact signs at the crossings, I hadn't seen any sign of trains traversing the branch this spring/summer. The crossings remained full of winter silt. Today, however, I noticed fresh grooves - looks like something light weight like a hi-rail truck. Keep an eye out for future trains!
 #1398159  by gokeefe

Mikejf wrote:Unfortunately I have none of those for reference, but I do have the Rumford Falls and Rangeley Lakes that briefly references those. I would like to get my hands on those books also.
If anyone does I would encourage donating a copy to the Maine State Library and having them deposit it in their rare books collection (non-circulating). Volumes that rare should be preserved and digitized.
 #1400987  by Watchman318

sleepingtree wrote:Beyond the posting of emergency contact signs at the crossings, I hadn't seen any sign of trains traversing the branch this spring/summer. The crossings remained full of winter silt. Today, however, I noticed fresh grooves - looks like something light weight like a hi-rail truck. Keep an eye out for future trains!
Anything new since then?
I know MeDOT patrolled the Lower Road periodically by truck, and probably still does, but I don't know how frequently they did/do that. (One day a few years ago, it was timed just right so the track inspector interrupted a guy pulling spikes and stealing tie plates. I am not making this up.)
 #1402311  by sleepingtree

Recently, I noticed a bit of a kurfluffle (sp?) in Lisbon Falls. It appears that in the course of demolishing most of what remains of the Worumbo Mill, crews damaged the siding. I saw a state hi-rail and a small crew inspecting/attempting to repair the damage, but now, a few weeks later, I see it's still a bit broken. Other than that, not much to report on the route.