Railroad Forums 

• Midtown West: Effects on Amtrak, LIRR, MNRR, NJT, NYCT

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1563428  by Jeff Smith

https://nyrej.com/sb-c-architecture-dev ... -west-plan

Don't know how realistic this is, but:
The first phase looks at the block between 9th and 10th Aves., and West 30th and 31st Sts. Conveniently aligned with the portal to the Gateway Tunnel, this site will house the new Penn South Station and allow for New Jersey Transit to operate in its own space, permitting Long Island Railroad, and Amtrak to expand in the existing Penn/Moynihan complex and making room for future Metro North Trains. Above the station will be the new 270 bay PABT as well as office space for Amtrak and the Port Authority. The Lincoln Tunnel Expressway currently connecting the tunnel to this site will become a dedicated busway, streamlining traffic, and making the roads above more navigable for other vehicles. New pedestrian connections between the Proposed Penn South/PABT, Hudson Yards Manhattan West, and the Penn/Moynihan Complexes will be made as well.

The second phase encompasses the demolition of the existing PABT and the associated ramps connecting it to the Lincoln Tunnel, as well as creating a platform over West 40th St. between 9th and 10th Aves.

The third phase includes clearing the three blocks located between 9th and 10th Aves., and West 38th and 41st Sts., which was previously occupied by the PABT ramps, to be developed into a larger, more capable MSG with ancillary entertainment facilities. The added space will allow it to have a much higher capacity and more flexible functionality. The platform over West 40th St. will allow for a bi-level setup for delivery and access to the Arena. The old PABT can now be redeveloped.

Phase 4 incudes the demolition of the existing MSG, which will allow for the renovation and expansion of the existing Penn Station. The Highline will be extended over the new Busway (formerly the Lincoln Tunnel Expressway), north to the new MSG and the proposed 7 line subway station at 10th Ave. will be completed, which is now located within the proposed MSG.
 #1563440  by STrRedWolf

I won't believe it until I see the plans...

...and there's nothing on the consultant's web site... which is not very easy to navigate. If they did their web site in house, I'd have even more doubts with their designs in solid form.
 #1563649  by STrRedWolf

Okay, not even looking at the plans, I can see it's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Instead, I looked at Google Maps. Guess what the current PABT is located next to?

If you guessed the Lincoln Tunnel, you're right. And there's bus ramps going right into it.

So the plan is to move it 8 blocks south, where you have to go west to go east on the 7 line... and waste more time?
 #1563707  by lensovet

I mean the current terminal is two blocks north of the portal. The new terminal would be 6 blocks south. as outlined above, there are existing ramps that are currently for general traffic that would be converted to bus-only. So that's not really a significant change.
 #1563724  by STrRedWolf

lensovet wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:55 am I mean the current terminal is two blocks north of the portal. The new terminal would be 6 blocks south. as outlined above, there are existing ramps that are currently for general traffic that would be converted to bus-only. So that's not really a significant change.
True. The real issue would be overloading the A/C/E and 1/2/3 stations at 34th street. You'll have bus folks trying to get on the 7 line having to go up on those lines to catch the 7. Major detour, and I didn't see how they would correct that.
 #1563996  by oknazevad

Considering none of the agencies spoken about are remotely involved, and the PANYNJ just announced their decision to replace the PABT with a new terminal in the same spot, after constructing a temporary terminal a block over that will be retained as midday bus parking after the new main terminal is finished, this proposal is not actually anything except some attempt by a nothing agency to get hired/leech money off a public works project that has nothing to do with anything.