Railroad Forums 

• A favor ? Old software ?

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1557032  by shepaug

I was not active on the internet very early days but -----

Years ago there were numerous online free maps. Maptech ? Mapquest ? I forget the names.

Obviously there were map discs sold.

Often on these old maps they would show railroads as red lines, etc.

What is lost are the red lines that often would show on urban maps. Such seemed to never show on any other type of map. Often not even topo.

A simple example ::::::::::::: locally an urban area is Bridgeport,Ct. On old maps red lines would show the short urban spurs in the city. Other cities also. TODAY all such evidence is gone. Tracks gone and and any evidence if snooped locally.

This thought just hit me recently. Wonder if this showed on older map discs. Instead of tossing those old discs save ? Might not work on a modern computer but if you still sit on old Windows computers who knows. I actually just got a Windows 95 from somebody. Why ? Oddly Marine radios made by ICOM can only be programmed by Windows 95.

Just a hobby to me so not looking to pay pay pay, etc.
 #1557052  by RRspatch

I seriously doubt very many people kept the CD's and other early internet media (floppy disks).

While I'm not sure if you're looking for current maps or old maps you might try the Open Railway Map server.

https://www.openrailwaymap.org/

These maps, like an "open source" project, are updated from official maps, railroaders and railfans and other people in the know.

I looked at the Bridgeport area and it pretty much shows everything. This includes main tracks, yards and spur tracks as well as interlocking complete with switch numbers.
 #1557437  by eolesen

USGS has historical topo available online as well as downloadable to PDF's going back as far as the late 1800's in some cases. I've used that as a planning source for virtual modeling in OpenRails and Microsoft Train Simulator.

https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/topoexplorer/index.html