Railroad Forums 

• Another Whither Amtrak Topic? "We need a better Amtrak for post-pandemic America"

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1546502  by Jeff Smith

Here's a good catch-all article: https://www.seattletimes.com/business/w ... c-america/

Read, quote what you think is relevant to your point, and make your argument! It's a pretty thorough read; not always accurate, but a well researched tome, an "ode to Amtrak", if you will. And some of our recent discussions are covered in here.

ENJOY DAMMIT!
 #1546504  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Smith, allow me one quote if you please:
Among the casualties were the former Northern Pacific’s crack North Coast Limited and Mainstreeter to Seattle, as well as the Great Northern’s Western Star. Amtrak took over the Milwaukee Road’s North Coast Hiawatha from Chicago to Seattle, but it was a casualty of budget cuts in 1979.
A more accurate description would be:

Shortly after Amtrak's inception, at the "urging" of a Montana US Senator, service over the Northern Pacific route was restored. The train was named the "North Coast Hiawatha" to reflect it being routed berween Chicago and Minneapolis over The Milwaukee Road.
 #1546506  by John_Perkowski

Right now, there isn’t much travel going on in the US at all. My wife this week flew from Chicago to Norfolk VA. She said Midway was empty, except for the gate areas, and they only filled up about twenty minutes before boarding.

We have more capacity than need right now, and that applies to all modes. Before February, the locomotive deadlines at BNSF (CB&Q) Murray Yard, North Kansas City, had almost completely disappeared. They are back now, with a vengeance.

For Amtrak to show it’s value as a transportation mode, it must show consists that are scrupulously clean, and it must show how much fresh air gets pumped through the cars every minute. The Pullman Company could do that with its heavyweight cars. I’m not sure Amtrak can.
 #1546507  by Jeff Smith

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:19 am Mr. Smith, allow me one quote if you please:
I actually constructed that post a bit sloppy; of course quote away. I just meant that I, me, myself, and I wouldn't :wink: !
 #1546566  by Pensyfan19

https://www.cpr.org/2020/06/26/federal- ... o-reality/
Colorado’s fledgling plans for passenger rail up and down the Front Range could get billions from the federal government under two separate proposals. 

Sal Pace, a member of the state’s Southwest Chief And Front Range Passenger Rail Commission, said he’s been working with Amtrak and Republican Sen. Cory Gardner on bill language that would fund four new rail corridors across the country. He said it would mean more than $2 billion for Colorado.

“It would really play a huge difference in getting the Front Range passenger rail program built,” said the former Democratic state legislator and Pueblo County Commissioner in an interview. 

Gardner confirmed that, saying he’s hopeful the language will be included in a future coronavirus stimulus bill.

“We’re going to keep pushing,” he said earlier in June.

It’s not yet clear which piece of legislation Gardner’s language would be attached to. The Democratic-controlled House of Representatives passed a coronavirus relief bill in May, but NPR reported it was “dead on arrival” in the Republican-held Senate. 
They mean well, but I feel that of they leave this up to the governemnt, it will lead to constant debates of whether to fund an intercity rail system across the entire state. Debates which lead to delays and protests from NIMBYS while the costs rise and nothing much gets done. Therefore:
Attachments:
2020-06-27 11.12.02.jpg
2020-06-27 11.12.02.jpg (90.38 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
 #1546622  by eolesen

John_Perkowski wrote:Right now, there isn’t much travel going on in the US at all. My wife this week flew from Chicago to Norfolk VA. She said Midway was empty, except for the gate areas, and they only filled up about twenty minutes before boarding.

We have more capacity than need right now, and that applies to all modes. Before February, the locomotive deadlines at BNSF (CB&Q) Murray Yard, North Kansas City, had almost completely disappeared. They are back now, with a vengeance.

For Amtrak to show it’s value as a transportation mode, it must show consists that are scrupulously clean, and it must show how much fresh air gets pumped through the cars every minute. The Pullman Company could do that with its heavyweight cars. I’m not sure Amtrak can.
Nah, demand is picking up. Both American and United announced on Friday they weren't going to artificially limit the number of seats sold per airplane. They'd been blocking middle seats to try keeping capacity to 70-85% full, but now are requiring everyone to wear masks or risk being banned from flying until the pandemic ends.

Starting Wednesday, they'll be back to selling up to the plane's capacity. Delta and Southwest are still capping below capacity, so maybe that's why MDW was perceived as empty.

Maybe Amtrak should jump onboard the airline industry's do-not-fly list being used to ban anti-maskers.

#1546639  by STrRedWolf

https://www.amtrak.com/coronavirus?intc ... tes_frame1
Facial coverings: Amtrak requires all customers and employees wear face masks or an alternative facial covering while in stations.
Facial coverings: All customers and employees must wear a face covering or mask while on trains or thruway buses. Face masks can be removed when customers are in their private rooms.
I underlined a relevant line. Folks objecting to a mask have an out: get a sleeper room. If they can't handle the idea of a mask at all, they can just stay home.