Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1515686  by Jeff Smith

So as noted elsewhere in the forum (M9 Cars Design Delivery and Acceptance, MNRR is not getting any of the M9 options, but are instead rehabbing the M3a's.

This thread will cover that rehab, status and details, etc.
 #1515740  by SeanW

Weren't the Metro North M3s rebuilt some years ago, replacing the previous fully openable windows with sealed windows, new interiors, seat covers etc?

If they're getting rehab'ed again, lets hope its a good, thorough one that keeps them going for a long time :-D
 #1515741  by Backshophoss

The M-3's are getting ACSES gear installed at LIRR Arch st shop by a contractor,with a round trip tow over Hellgate bridge
with tired LIRR MP-15's. The M -7's did this trip for BBD warranty work.The pairs are barefooted to clear LIRR 3rd rail.
 #1515779  by DutchRailnut

why? they will never operate on other railroad, due to signal incompatibility ?
 #1515782  by Ridgefielder

SeanW wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:31 pm Weren't the Metro North M3s rebuilt some years ago, replacing the previous fully openable windows with sealed windows, new interiors, seat covers etc?

If they're getting rehab'ed again, lets hope its a good, thorough one that keeps them going for a long time :-D
The windows were never fully openable. If I recall correctly, every third or so window had a transom, hinged at the bottom, that would swing in a couple inches-- similar to the windows on the R-142 etc. subway cars.

While I appreciate vintage equipment as much as the next guy, as a daily MN commuter I've got to say that I wish these were heading off to a museum instead of rehab. The M7's are much more pleasant to ride in-- bigger windows, better seats, better suspension and the bathrooms don't smell.
 #1516223  by R36 Combine Coach

Ridgefielder wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:10 amThe windows were never fully openable. If I recall correctly, every third or so window had a transom, hinged at the bottom, that would swing in a couple inches-- similar to the windows on the R-142 etc. subway cars.
Inward hinged vents, standard on all NYCT cars from R32s and World's Fair R36s onward. Even many rebuilt Redbirds with original drop sash windows had them replaced with inward vents in the early 1990s.

NYCT refers to them as picture windows (R32/R36 and up). Reportedly once AC was installed on older cars (Redbirds), the need for full drop sashes were no longer justified.