Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#1515310  by mp15ac

Interesting, but my question is this: Is there enough business for another "rail" line between these two cities, considering that there already is Amtrak (yes, I know not too many people take Amtrak for such a short trip), TriRail, and Virgin Train (BirghtLine).

Maybe if the monorail line is run very close to the shoreline so it isn't duplicating the routes of the other trains.

Stuart
 #1515423  by andrewjw

frequentflyer wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:45 am Impressed by the details. Designing the rails to be low impact visually, and low maintenance. Why more cities ( hey Austin,TX.) not look into this is beyond me.
One of the largest issues with systems like these is the vendor lock-in. There is usually no way to contract for repairs or parts replacements with anyone but the original builder and the system may have to be torn down and replaced if they ever want to replace the trains. Compare AirTrain JFK to AirTrain EWR. EWR is going to be torn down at the end of its useful life, whereas it will always be possible to get a train running on 750V third rail, 4' 8.5" (even if they abandoned SelTrac and the aluminum propulsion strips).
 #1532592  by Nasadowsk

Tadman wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:58 pm A Ford Pinto or Leyland Pacer would be better than EWR monorail.
IIRC, the thing was made by Von Roll,who even told the PA that it wasn't designed for the application. Snowmobiles, inc getting the maintenance contract s no surprise...
 #1537080  by Tadman

I mean, I could fix that stupid EWR train in about six weeks. Open bids to build double-track elevated structure, 4' 8.5", 600-750vdc. Buy 8 retired CTA 2600 cars and refurbish them, or something similar. Or tack on to an order for something new that CTA or NYCTA has on order, maybe 8-10 cars. With spares.

Problem solved. No more monkey business. No more mystery spare parts.
 #1547940  by west point

I notice a few comments about monorail slow. How many others have ridden a monorail. There is a historic problem with monorails that has never been solved. Monorails above 30 - 35 MPH are dynamically unstable. That is they will shake them selves apart at those speeds. That is why Disney limits theirs to 25 MPH. Research has shown that active controls can dampen the unstable but what happens if it fails at high speed ? To get an idea of the cost the F-16 has active controls that almost double the cost of the aircraft.
 #1547942  by Pensyfan19

west point wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:18 pm I notice a few comments about monorail slow. How many others have ridden a monorail. There is a historic problem with monorails that has never been solved. Monorails above 30 - 35 MPH are dynamically unstable. That is they will shake them selves apart at those speeds. That is why Disney limits theirs to 25 MPH. Research has shown that active controls can dampen the unstable but what happens if it fails at high speed ? To get an idea of the cost the F-16 has active controls that almost double the cost of the aircraft.
Ever hear of maglev? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_maglev_train :P

In all seriousness though, why not bend the curves so that monorails could take on higher speeds, as well as build stable wheels which could stick on to the tracks while moving fast? The Alweg Monorail in Germany used this technique to achieve high speed testing for their monorails in the early 50s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsIgADEw_Ck

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/00/81/f1 ... bb269f.jpg
 #1548119  by MattW

west point wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:18 pm I notice a few comments about monorail slow. How many others have ridden a monorail. There is a historic problem with monorails that has never been solved. Monorails above 30 - 35 MPH are dynamically unstable. That is they will shake them selves apart at those speeds. That is why Disney limits theirs to 25 MPH. Research has shown that active controls can dampen the unstable but what happens if it fails at high speed ? To get an idea of the cost the F-16 has active controls that almost double the cost of the aircraft.
Huh? Everything I can find says Disney runs up to 40mph.
 #1548246  by NaugyRR

I was there last Christmas, the line to Epcot is deff faster than 25