Railroad Forums 

• NJT ALP-45-DP Supplemental Order

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1577520  by ElectricTraction

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:05 amHad the Tappan Zee link been built. we'd be likely seeing P32s running.
It would be the Mario Cuomo link. If you look at the whole project, the only logical way to tie rail in would be to build a line in the middle of 287 from Suffern to Port Chester, and make the connection to the Harlem Line, not the Hudson. It would be electrified with overhead wire, but to get into GCT, you'd have to use M-8s. It likely doesn't make sense to have electrification and thus one-seat rides to GCT north of Suffern, although at some point total electrification of one-seat rides may make sense, with HMU shuttles on some of the outer branches. They should also restore the old Erie Main.
 #1577625  by F40

What is the probability of this happening in the next 20 years? They cannot even get the North Brunswick project off the ground which is a fraction of the cost and complexity. In addition, the Northern Branch which has progressed through the initial stages is still 11 years away and this is all restoring service on existing track, and laying down some concrete for the stations, nevermind drilling two new tunnels under the Hudson.

I am not taking the Biden administration's plans as a silver bullet. NJ is supposedly getting about $4 billion. Taking into account all the red tape, delays, and cost overruns we're so accustomed to seeing with these projects (among those, to save a rare spider no one will see in their lifetime), I'll believe it when I see it.
 #1577851  by CNJGeep

4536 shoved Train 5134 with Sec. Trans. Pete Buttegeig (sic?) riding Somerville-Westfield