Railroad Forums 

• falmouth, maine grade crossings

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#158048  by nygiants21

In the town of falmouth, maine has two (quiet zone) grade crossings (Falmouth rd. and blackstrap rd.) on Guilford's MEC main line. falmouth road has had two quadrant gates for a while but there was a debate over blackstrap road's quiet zone, since the road only has lights. some NIMBY's on nearby roads were "worried that their property values would go down if the quiet zone would be lifted." now four-quadrant gates are to be installed on blackstrap road. and you don't see the people further up in falmouth, or in the neighboring town of cumberland complaining, where there are many subdivisions&houses right next to the railroad tracks. it is amazing what a few people can do. if anyone knows extra stuff about this, please post a reply

FMI: http://www.theforecaster.net/story.php? ... ype=search
 #158295  by Cosmo

Personally, I think that in order to maintain a "quiet zone" crossing, the city/town/nieborhood commitie should be required to build and maintain the following safety devices:
1) Concrete barriers in the median to prevent lane change attempts,
2) Hydraulic lift-barriers designed to actually STOP a vehicle DEAD IN IT'S TRACKS, eg: the kind designed to stop terrorist truck-bombers from entering militairy bases.
3) Barbed wire and tank traps the entire length of the so called "quiet zone" to prevent anyone driving, walking or otherwise intruding on the privacy of the RR.
Yah, that oughta' 'bout do it.

#173820  by CTL10D

Hey what about the spike strips and the snipers in trees? lol :wink: -chris
 #174004  by Cosmo

CTL10D wrote:Hey what about the spike strips and the snipers in trees? lol :wink: -chris
Wow! Why didn't I think of that?
Actually, the reqirement should mandate protection that is so big, ugly and costly that it would deter the establishment of such "quiet zones." Did I mention that the residents in the effected area should be required to foot the bill?

#174147  by CSX Conductor

I'd simply ask, "who was here first, you or the railroad?"

The majority of NIMBY's live in houses that came after the tracks, and then you ask them..... "Did the railroad force you to move there?" LOL :P