Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh Hudson River - stranded cars & row severed

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#1396030  by carajul

Is NS ever going to remove the freight cars here and there that have been sitting on the LHR just past the Bel Del switch? Looks like 2 box cars and then a yellow mow gondola.

Also sad news... a new housing development was built recently just south of the Belvidere border directley on the row. There is a walking trail in the middle of the housing development where the row was. Guess LHR is certainly gone forever now.
 #1396095  by Greg

carajul wrote: Also sad news... a new housing development was built recently just south of the Belvidere border directley on the row. There is a walking trail in the middle of the housing development where the row was. Guess LHR is certainly gone forever now.
That has been there since 2000-2001.
 #1396099  by David

carajul wrote:Is NS ever going to remove the freight cars here and there that have been sitting on the LHR just past the Bel Del switch? Looks like 2 box cars and then a yellow mow gondola.

Just two gondolas are located there. No box cars. The original L&HR station is also located there too.
 #1396305  by carajul

I didn't know that housing development was there since 2000 ! Wow how times flies. Who owns the row on either side? Google maps still show the row as one land parcel on both sides of the housing development. Maybe CR or NS or Penn Central owns it still? Maybe the municipality bought it?

Does anyone know what the date was of the last train from P'burg northward?

I do believe there are other stranded cars along the line to Sparta.

I followed the row on street maps. The further north you go from Belvidere, the row is just in a forrest now.
 #1396356  by RichM

Marty knows best, but there are photos in the first edition of the Scott Hartley photo book about the NYS&W showing the Conrail scrap train pulling up the rails south of Sparta Junction once the Susquehanna obtained the L&HR north.

I guess my one (polite) challenge to Marty's comment is that the southern end of the L&HR, connecting to the Susquehanna, might have afforded another point of access to the NJ side of the NY waterfront, and possibly modified/transformed the NS-CSX split... maybe... any operator would still have to contend with the topography east of Sparta Junction... but less interference with NJ Transit.

Sorry for any attempted hijacking...

Rich
 #1396382  by NYS&W142Fan

Several years ago before his Death in response to the World Trade Towers attack, Walter Rich was looking into the L&HR as a second, less populated route into the NY Metro area. I think if he had lived we might be seeing trains on this route!
 #1396673  by Marty Feldner

Rich- my comment was referring to the pre-CR L&HR, so no problem.

There are several threads in the 'Fallen Flags/L&HR' forum [viewforum.php?f=183] covering the fate of the lower end post-1976, the NYS&W, Walter Rich's thoughts about the line below Sparta, and operations during the CR era (at least one thread was started by you, carajul); I haven't gone through all of them...
 #1397034  by RichM

Marty, I agree with your conclusion as well. More fantasy but it might have been nice having a split L&HR, two distinct pieces with separate purposes.

And you're still "the man" about the L&HR. somewhere I've got a photo of you along with the rest of the Carstens' bunch with the bobber caboose. I'm not even going to guess how long ago that was...