Railroad Forums 

• Questions about Manchester, NH "Industrial Trackage"

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1360567  by MinutemanMaroon

Does anybody know when the last train served the industries along the Manchester & Lawrence Branch within Manchester and down to the airport? "Lost Railroads of New England" puts this line abandoned in 2000, but it says the line from Manchester yard to the airport had been out of use for "many years". There seems to be a lack of photography of this segment in these final years so its hard to determine when the last train was. Perhaps late 1980s-early 1990s? The cantilever crossing signals are still up at the Queen City Ave. crossing, it's always intrigued me as to why they were left there. I hope that doesn't change anytime soon.

Similarly, I was wondering when the last trains served the Portsmouth Branch within East Manchester, as that trackage stuck around for a bit after the majority of the Portsmouth Branch was pulled up in 1982. The book says the trackage between Manchester yard and East Manchester was officially abandoned in 1995 but hadn't been used for a few years.There seems to be few records and photographs of this late operation as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated, these questions have been bugging me for some time!
 #1360861  by Jackinbox1

If the crossings aren't in good enough condition for you know what, then they would have to be replaced. Sorry :(

As for the trackage, I don't know. Im not too much of an expert, despite living alongside the line for my life.
 #1363675  by MinutemanMaroon

arthur d. wrote:Try and find copies of the B&MRRHS Bulletin vol. 27 # 3 and #4. Lots of good information about Manchester and the changes it saw by author Rick Hurst.
Will do! Thanks
 #1364038  by arthur d.

Teaser 1; There was a staggering number of customer sidings east of Elm street off the Portsmouth branch.
Teaser 2; Vol. 28# 1 and 2 of the Bulletin also contain significant information about Manchester, though these two issues contain information closer to the present day.
 #1364361  by NHV 669

The Rail Lines of Northern New England [Chapter 18, on the M&L] states that the "northern section (above the 1986 Derry- Londonderry abandomnent) lost its last shipper in November of 1998." Railpace 18, (August, 1999) is listed as a source, I don't know if that will give any additional further info.
 #1364480  by MinutemanMaroon

NHV 669 wrote:The Rail Lines of Northern New England [Chapter 18, on the M&L] states that the "northern section (above the 1986 Derry- Londonderry abandomnent) lost its last shipper in November of 1998." Railpace 18, (August, 1999) is listed as a source, I don't know if that will give any additional further info.
That definitely helps to put things into perspective, if they lost their last customer in November 1998 then it's possible the segment did indeed see service in the mid-to-late 1990s. Thanks for the information!
 #1368919  by arthur d.

NashuaActon&Boston wrote:B&M Bulletin Volume XXVIII (28), Number 2 is the third and final installment in the Manchester issues. The "Manchester Finale". It covers latter day operations. Worth picking up for sure. I don't have it on hand to address any of specifics of abandonment. Good luck.

V 28 # 2 may be the third and final installment in the Manchester story, but for the whole series, you will need to begin at V 27 #3, because 28 #1 is just a photo spread.