Railroad Forums 

• LV Sayre Yard building?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1284855  by scottychaos

I have never been completely sure! but I have always assumed it was the "sand house"..
In the steam era, the large coaling tower stood on that site..it burned down near the end of the steam era.
A couple of different structures replaced it, ending with the one in this photo..

I have seen photos of small covered hoppers parked outside of it, look like sand hoppers..
So while im not 100% certain, I believe the building probably held sand, probably piled on the ground, with the structure around it
to keep it dry, then piped into the sand tower as needed for locomotive use.

Scot
 #1284951  by nydepot

Now that you gave me some clues, you are correct in its use. No need to guess anymore. Once you said sand, and being that I posted the photo not because of LV but my research on sanding facilities - notice the black pipe heading from the sanding tower to the building. That's the pipe to load the sand from the building to the tower. Typical installations used compressed air, from a generator or a parked diesel to do the work.

Thanks Scot!

Charles
 #1301296  by GOLDEN-ARM

i think the really interesting part is, the thousands of gallons of oil and grease on the ground. back when i first started on the railroad, all loco facilities were like, giant lakes of oil and diesel. i wonder what some core samples of the ground in that area would show? i threw away more than one pair of pants, and even boots, that became covered in "crater", the gearbox lube that leaked and collected everywhere around engine tracks.

the building would have a hopper spotted inside, and it would have the outlet connected to a pan, that was emptied by air, to blow the sand to the tower, that was gravity fed to the locos. storage hoppers inside the building could store and dry sand, if needed. oak island used the same system, but the hopper wasn't inside of a building, it was spotted next to the sand tower, at 91 bay st.