Railroad Forums 

• SC-44 Siemens Charger Locomotives

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1457457  by ApproachMedium

Id like to see one of these make track speed with any consist. Something the MPI things cant seem to do at all with double decks.
 #1538312  by Nasadowsk

The failure breakdown was interesting. 'loading problems'? What the hell does that mean? More importantly, what is Siemens doing to fix this?

Interesting, the ever-maligned 'computer' seems to be more reliable than the radio. I'm not sure how you make a radio unreliable. The new locomotives one will be 'clean'. Good thing, I don't think congtree would like a radio that talks dirty :)
 #1538315  by Tadman

It's my understanding that "loading problems" mean the traction motors will not accept significant amounts of amps from the alternator. In earlier days it was more related to transition, now it seems to be related to computers controlling the flow of electrons to motors.

This is all very lay-person and I understand Nasadowsk is a real live electrics guy of some sort.
 #1538318  by Acela150

Tadman wrote:It's my understanding that "loading problems" mean the traction motors will not accept significant amounts of amps from the alternator. In earlier days it was more related to transition, now it seems to be related to computers controlling the flow of electrons to motors.

This is all very lay-person and I understand Nasadowsk is a real live electrics guy of some sort.
Pretty much what you said is the issue.
 #1538319  by Arlington

The future of all new platforms is going to be systems-integration problems. Even the finest manufacturer working with the finest , proven components is going to have a year or two of shakedown cruises. (See also MBTA HSP46)
 #1512183  by Tadman

They may be homely and such, but as a rider, I love them.

They are super quiet. I'm in the first car right behind the power, and I hear nothing.

They are fast! We pulled out of Kalamazoo so hard I thought we were on a TGV.

As of this writing, I have about 3-4 round trips behind Chargers, including Saint Louis, Milwaukee, and Detroit. I'm a happy customer, literally.
 #1512216  by DutchRailnut

a AC propulsion locomotive handles different from DC propulsion locomotive , it takes a while to get hang of it . adding a little brake for example to manage wheelslip gets you propulsion faults , only way to control slip is by throttle reduction one at time as each truck or axle is basically independent of the others.
 #1512217  by R36 Combine Coach

Tadman wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:19 amThey are super quiet. I'm in the first car right behind the power, and I hear nothing.
Much like on NJT, a PL42 is very smooth and quiet, while a GP40 you can tell even with your ears when pulling into the station (a loud, throaty roar).
 #1512265  by 8th Notch

DutchRailnut wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:10 pm a AC propulsion locomotive handles different from DC propulsion locomotive , it takes a while to get hang of it . adding a little brake for example to manage wheelslip gets you propulsion faults , only way to control slip is by throttle reduction one at time as each truck or axle is basically independent of the others.
I agree however Siemens and the RFE are instructing engineers to leave the throttle alone and let the computer deal with it (similar to running the ACS on wet rail). I personally haven’t ran a Charger on wet rail however someone very high up said that that Amtrak is concerned with running them on the long hauls up the mountains in poor weather because of poor performance on slippery rail.