Railroad Forums 

• Railfaning and baseball

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1263293  by Bob Roberts

For what its worth, Charlotte's brand new downtown ballpark has a great view of the NS main on the third base side. I may have been more excited by the mixed freight passing by (with UP power) than I was by the Knights first run in the new park. This strtch of track can see a couple trains per hour, plus you can drink beer while watching freights roll past.

It seems rare to see trains -while- watching a game (you can see the same NS main from Panthers stadium, but that is from the concourse, not the seats). Are their any other ballparks well suited to railfaning?

I'll give an honorable mention to Camden Yards for the amazing C&O Warehouse (but no tracks are visible).
 #1621190  by Bob Roberts

Thanks to a relatively new ballpark, you can get a very good view of the NS main from just about all of the Gastonia Honey Hunters, Caromont Healthcare field. Highly recommend.
 #1621208  by Jeff Smith

I'm going to cross-post this topic to get it some visibility.

One of the more well-known spots for train viewing from a ballpark is Safeco Field in Seattle.

From Yankee Stadium, you can see the 4 go by. I'm unsure if you can see the 7 from Citi Field.

Any others? MLB or MiLB?
 #1621223  by STrRedWolf

Bob Roberts wrote: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:18 pm I'll give an honorable mention to Camden Yards for the amazing C&O Warehouse (but no tracks are visible).
Camden Yards is a good terminal for the MARC trains but for real railfanning, you'll need to walk a bit south between the stadiums to where the Howard Street Tunnel opens up, across from the Lee Street parking garage. You may be able to hang out a bit more at the Hamburg Street Light Rail station. Food is more accessible on the other side of Camden Yards on Pratt Street.
 #1621240  by NHV 669

I used to see Bow Coal runs with NS power head past Fisher Cats Stadium in Manchester, NH close to 15 years ago.

Haven't been down in ages, but the coal traffic is more or less a thing of the past these days, and not sure if the Nashua local runs by while games are occurring. The trains can be seen just about anywhere in the stadium, as the tracks run from behind right field towards center field.
 #1621270  by jwhite07

Polar Park in Worcester MA, home to the Worcester (formerly Pawtucket RI) Red Sox minor league club, has some good views of the adjacent CSX ex-Boston and Albany main line.
 #1622362  by Scalziand

Despite the name, the Hartford Yard Goats stadium is a couple blocks away from the tracks and train yard north of downtown, too far to see anything directly from the stadium.