Railroad Forums 

• I'm color blind is there any hope for me with the railroads?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1246422  by BTVet

I am a Veteran who is color blind. I want to know if there are any other opportunities where having my condition I can still start somewhere with the railroad. I want to get my foot in the door because I want to finish my degree in Logistics and it's only fitting that the railroad is the best place for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 #1280623  by Gadfly

BTVet wrote:I am a Veteran who is color blind. I want to know if there are any other opportunities where having my condition I can still start somewhere with the railroad. I want to get my foot in the door because I want to finish my degree in Logistics and it's only fitting that the railroad is the best place for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, there is. There is MUCH more to the railroad than "choo choos" and trains! There are clerical jobs, maintenance jobs, jobs in shops which include welding, carpentry, hydraulics, engine rebuild, assembly, sheet metal, electricians, design and fabrication, engineering---a whole HOST of jobs that don't necessarily have to do with trains and signals. Many of these jobs have "set" hours and designated rest days. For a family man, such jobs are more suited to a family person than the often wild schedules on the Line of Road! And the benefits are the SAME.

For one who has his heart set on being Casey Jones? :P IF he is truly color blind, not a chance in Hades. You must understand that the lives of your fellow employees AND innocent bystanders are at stake if one cannot correctly read signals. OTH, you can still work AROUND trains, if that's what you want, just ON them! :-D

GF