Railroad Forums 

• ACS-64 Deliveries and Testing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1218936  by Finch

25Hz wrote:Anyone else notice the cable/tube coming out the cab window in this photo? Are they temperature testing for ambient vs affected and HVAC?

http://www.siemens.com/press/pool/de/pr ... 300dpi.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It looks like a wire harness, which would probably be associated with test instrumentation. Testing a vehicle often involves stringing wires all over the place to capture various data (air pressures, current, control signals, etc.). I'd hate to take a more specific guess. I doubt it's HVAC-related, but who knows.
 #1219155  by ThirdRail7

605 is underway. I'm not sure but I believe this is the one that counts. Either 605 or 606 has the updated mods. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
 #1219159  by Greg Moore

ThirdRail7 wrote:605 is underway. I'm not sure but I believe this is the one that counts. Either 605 or 606 has the updated mods. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Excellent!

It's about time.
 #1219235  by 25Hz

So all of them are getting the LED's?
 #1219373  by ApproachMedium

They should be, the videos of testing from CO showed the one out there with LEDs, the 602 has them as we all know so presumably the 605 and beyond should. Its a super simple mod. The rest is probably just software and nitty gritty stuff as they go along.
 #1220767  by JR4815D2

Amtrak Extra Test Train currently being tested. ACS-64 No. 602 on one end and other end AEM-7 No. 901. Currently at Pelham Manor.
 #1220776  by ThirdRail7

JR4815D2 wrote:Amtrak Extra Test Train currently being tested. ACS-64 No. 602 on one end and other end AEM-7 No. 901. Currently at Pelham Manor.
That train has been running around all week. It'll be on the Hell gate line for a few days.
 #1220785  by amtrakhogger

Look for the 602 to enter revenue service in November.
 #1220826  by 25Hz

amtrakhogger wrote:Look for the 602 to enter revenue service in November.
That's exciting!! Any word on which train it's supposed to be on? If it's a kesytone i think i'll try to get it at bristol, if it's a longer train probably somewhere where i can get a "speed" shot.
 #1220830  by BuddSilverliner269

25Hz wrote:
That's exciting!! Any word on which train it's supposed to be on? If it's a kesytone i think i'll try to get it at bristol, if it's a longer train probably somewhere where i can get a "speed" shot.
I'm confused by that statement since Keystones and regionals can do the same speed and also 5 car trains generally get up and go a lot quicker then a longer train. Chances are this locomotive will be assigned to a DC-NYC or DC- to Boston run. I don't think you'll see them on the Keystone trains so soon.
 #1220857  by ThirdRail7

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:
25Hz wrote:
I'm confused by that statement since Keystones and regionals can do the same speed and also 5 car trains generally get up and go a lot quicker then a longer train. Chances are this locomotive will be assigned to a DC-NYC or DC- to Boston run. I don't think you'll see them on the Keystone trains so soon.
If the federal government shutdown drags on much longer you can expect the date to get pushed back. Buddsilverliner is correct. The tentative plan is for a WAS start to NYP and return. Final details are being worked out with the car department since Siemans wants to use the same consist for the initial runs.

I also share his confusion regarding a speed shot. Is this one of those visual acuity things that us peasants wouldn't understand?
 #1220863  by 25Hz

I guess the fact that bristol is elevated and sits between two curves and hamilton is on straight track and not elevated and would both come out with different shots and angles is a concept too far.