Railroad Forums 

• ACS-64 Deliveries and Testing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1216282  by acelaphillies

I was hoping to maybe see the 603 today but I guess it went to WIL early this morning. Does angone know if the ACS-64 will be out and about today between PHL and NYP?

Btw, a lot of nice shots JR4815D2!! You got to see the real paint scheme too last night in NYP.
 #1216289  by JR4815D2

acelaphillies wrote:I was hoping to maybe see the 603 today but I guess it went to WIL early this morning. Does angone know if the ACS-64 will be out and about today between PHL and NYP?

Btw, a lot of nice shots JR4815D2!! You got to see the real paint scheme too last night in NYP.

Thanks. 603 was on the PIT this morning on Race Street in Philly. (20 mins ago or so)
 #1216315  by acelaphillies

JR4815D2 wrote:
acelaphillies wrote:I was hoping to maybe see the 603 today but I guess it went to WIL early this morning. Does angone know if the ACS-64 will be out and about today between PHL and NYP?

Thanks. 603 was on the PIT this morning on Race Street in Philly. (20 mins ago or so)
Ok, thanks.
 #1216331  by ThirdRail7

I'll say it since no one else will. I still think it is a "plain" looking engine. It is not plain in a "stark" way that causes you to reflect. It is plain in almost an "ugly" way. It lacks panache and identity. The Phase III AEM-7 scheme is a perfect example of an paint job befitting the speed of the NEC. Even the P-32 "Pepsi Can" had style....not necessarily a good one, but it was bold and daring. It stood out. It said "watch out, here I come!"

So far, this looks just like a basic "'engine" I liken it to going to the grocery store and you see brand name things like "Kellogg's Fruit Loops" or "Post's Alpha Bits" and later down the aisle, you see a box that just says "cereal" or "toasted oats cereal." The box has no flair and doesn't jump at you. It is a no frills box of cereal.

That's what I think of when I see this thing lumbering by. It is a no frills looking engine.

Well, as long as it works, it doesn't matter I suppose.
 #1216335  by ACeInTheHole

ThirdRail7 wrote:I'll say it since no one else will. I still think it is a "plain" looking engine. It is not plain in a "stark" way that causes you to reflect. It is plain in almost an "ugly" way. It lacks panache and identity. The Phase III AEM-7 scheme is a perfect example of an paint job befitting the speed of the NEC. Even the P-32 "Pepsi Can" had style....not necessarily a good one, but it was bold and daring. It stood out. It said "watch out, here I come!"

So far, this looks just like a basic "'engine" I liken it to going to the grocery store and you see brand name things like "Kellogg's Fruit Loops" or "Post's Alpha Bits" and later down the aisle, you see a box that just says "cereal" or "toasted oats cereal." The box has no flair and doesn't jump at you. It is a no frills box of cereal.

That's what I think of when I see this thing lumbering by. It is a no frills looking engine.

The problem is that the Phase V looks terrible on it. Way too much dull gray on the sides, a tiny smattering of blue on the top and front, a dinky Amtrak logo in the center, numbers by the cab and thats it. The engine is way too big and doenst look right for the paint scheme. I wouldve thought for sure Amtrak was going to introduce phase VI with the ACS64. Take off the fancy lettering on the veterans unit #42 and center the Amtrak logo.. That wouldve done the trick on the ACS64 i think.
 #1216340  by ThirdRail7

beanbag wrote:The problem is that the Phase V looks terrible on it. Way too much dull gray on the sides, a tiny smattering of blue on the top and front, a dinky Amtrak logo in the center, numbers by the cab and thats it. The engine is way too big and doenst look right for the paint scheme
I think you summed this up nicely. You're almost expecting someone thing to fill out the engine. Who knows...maybe Amtrak will sell ad space on the side of the ACS-64s. Goodness knows there is enough room!
Last edited by ThirdRail7 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1216342  by ACeInTheHole

ThirdRail7 wrote:[quote="beanbag]The problem is that the Phase V looks terrible on it. Way too much dull gray on the sides, a tiny smattering of blue on the top and front, a dinky Amtrak logo in the center, numbers by the cab and thats it. The engine is way too big and doenst look right for the paint scheme
I think you summed this up nicely. You're almost expecting someone thing to fill out the engine. Who knows...maybe Amtrak will sell ad space on the side of the ACS-64s. Goodness knows there is enough room![/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
Thanks ThirdRail, honestly, they need to do something about it. the ACS itself is a good looking engine, but that phase V.. man if my car was painted that shade of gray, I would fall asleep just looking at it because it would be just that boring to look at, to paint that much of a whole locomotive that color?.. that's just.. how should we say it.. special on Amtraks part.

(just to be clear, that was intentional sarcasm/dramatization with the falling asleep bit.. if you fall asleep looking at vehicles... you best not be on the road).
 #1216357  by ACeInTheHole

acelaphillies wrote:The AEM-7 is a very basic locomotive as well when you think about it. The difference however is that the fluting adds some visual interest to the side. The ACS-64 is just a big, flat, plain panel.
The AEM7 is also 15 feet shorter, and has a much better proportioned stance (note the ridiculous overhang in front of the trucks when viewing an ACS64 from the side) A dull paint scheme wont show up half as poorly on an AEM7.
 #1216359  by DutchRailnut

and were back to the AEM-7 conversation..........................................
 #1216386  by Tadman

It's kind of hard to dress up a box cab. I think the excessive silver paint doesn't help. Some of my favorite box cab looks were the MILW orange/black "Pelicans", the South Shore 700's, the Great Northern "builder" box motors, and the New Haven McGinnis look boxcabs.

But that's basically a list of all the box cabs that weren't black (or silver).

The ACS also has a chunky look to it. This is because the trucks wheelbase is so short compared to the overall length (look at the huge overhang in a side picture). This is also because there's a fairing above the cabs that ends about 3' inboard to make room for the pans. It gives the unit a bit of an ungainly look. But again, it's a box cab. You can't do much with it. The really old box cabs were kinda cool looking because they had those giant cast truck frames that took up the entire length of the locomotive.
 #1216387  by ApproachMedium

ThirdRail7 wrote:

Thats about all I care about it. I am all for function over form. I could care less if it looked like a P5A boxcab from the PRR. If it moves the cars down the road and gets the job done and saves Amtrak a ton of money, and helps improve the reputation of the railroad via OTP I am ALL for it. They could paint the whole thing white or black for all I care! LOL.

Remember what happened last time we got flashy engines? The HHP-8 happened. It might look nasty, but its a big piece of crap!
 #1216429  by 25Hz

Tadman wrote:It's kind of hard to dress up a box cab. I think the excessive silver paint doesn't help. Some of my favorite box cab looks were the MILW orange/black "Pelicans", the South Shore 700's, the Great Northern "builder" box motors, and the New Haven McGinnis look boxcabs.

But that's basically a list of all the box cabs that weren't black (or silver).

The ACS also has a chunky look to it. This is because the trucks wheelbase is so short compared to the overall length (look at the huge overhang in a side picture). This is also because there's a fairing above the cabs that ends about 3' inboard to make room for the pans. It gives the unit a bit of an ungainly look. But again, it's a box cab. You can't do much with it. The really old box cabs were kinda cool looking because they had those giant cast truck frames that took up the entire length of the locomotive.
With the way the trucks and frame and carbody are laid out, you have a shorter wheelbase relative to total length which is able to handle tighter curves than if it were longer, a lighter frame not needing to support as much in between truck pins, a neat weight distribution of the electronics package in the middle, and then you cap it off with crash impact robustness on the ends. A very well thought out piece of equipment in my opinion. When i saw it in person it was through a dark and poorly lit through a 1970's era station, but it seemed extremely stable and like it could eventually use those new speeds allowed through NJ whenever that comes online.

(Specs say its max operational speed is 135, but i'm not sure if that is it's absolute max or the "rev limiter" for revenue service)