Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1583264  by lordsigma12345

As Mr. Norman stated They have shelved the whole idea of converting VL1s to match VL2. The scope now is a “refresh” like what has been done with Amfleet 1 and 2 and as they’ve started on Superliners. Basically a deep clean, replacement of coach and sleeper seat cushions, replacement of carpeting, and lighting work, etc.
 #1583269  by lordsigma12345

I’m actually quite surprised to see them deploy VL2s on the Lake Shore - it would seem to me to make the most sense, given the different configurations to basically use the new cars for the silvers and the older cars elsewhere - old cars can be used to add surplus capacity to the silvers at busy times. But that would split the differences in configuration between different routes.
 #1583275  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Lord makes a sensible point in his immediate regarding assignment (deploy is a recognized synonym of assign, but assign has seen far more railroad use than deploy - or at least back in my day) of the V2 Sleepers. However, I would guess the Marketing faction had greater "meeting skills" than did those from Operations.

Assigning all of the cars to 91-92; 97-98 (4 sets each; Meteor and Star) would mean that only two "protects" would be required instead of an additional "way out in the Styx", or otherwise, Chicago. Further, during a "go for broke" traffic surge, they could assign three to each set (normal 3 for 4 sets; 2 for the additional 4, leaving 5 for shops and protects).

But what counts is that the Marketing gang could head to one of the Pubs (including The Dubliner) and celebrate their victory at "The Battle of One Mass Meeting Rooms".
 #1583277  by STrRedWolf

Doing a complete V1 overhaul of the sleepers to V2 style would require extensive rework including the plumbing (because toilets in each room). In other words, an extensive and costly effort vs a refresh (cushion replacement).

I'm not going to knock it ether way. The in-cabin toilets in the V1's were a bad idea, but right now they don't have the cash for it yet.
 #1583320  by JimBoylan

When the Viewliner baggage cars started leaving the factory, Amtrak changed their baggage policy from 3 free checked bags plus 3 more excess charge bags per ticketed passenger to 2 and 2 because of the reduced capacity. Then, about a year ago, they got rid of Amtrak Express, which also reduced the demand for space. Years ago Amtrak had reduced the maximum single bag weight from 75 to 50 pounds to eliminate gender bias, in case female baggage employees had weight restrictions.
 #1583321  by lordsigma12345

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:13 pm (deploy is a recognized synonym of assign, but assign has seen far more railroad use than deploy - or at least back in my day)
Ah yes deploy - that's my IT background talking we use deploy all the time, but assignment definitely more appropriate for RR cars.
 #1583347  by Matt Johnson

I do wish they would get all of the Viewliners into a consistent color scheme, as it would make the trains look better. I wish they had just stuck with Phase IVb, but if it has to be Phase III, so be it.

What would it take to get the Viewliner Is rated for 125 mph? I believe they are still restricted to 110, despite riding on the same type of trucks as the Viewliner IIs.
 #1583355  by west point

Matt Johnson wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:24 pm
What would it take to get the Viewliner Is rated for 125 mph? I believe they are still restricted to 110, despite riding on the same type of trucks as the Viewliner IIs.
Test them at 137.5 or faster and make any modifications necessary.
 #1596013  by daybeers

Yes, the 4912 or 4812 car. The 4911 or 4811 cars are Viewliner 1s. If you get an 11 car just call and ask an agent to change to a room in the 12 car, which they will do at no extra cost. If they say otherwise ask for a supervisor or call back.
 #1596118  by Alphaboi

daybeers wrote:Yes, the 4912 or 4812 car. The 4911 or 4811 cars are Viewliner 1s. If you get an 11 car just call and ask an agent to change to a room in the 12 car, which they will do at no extra cost. If they say otherwise ask for a supervisor or call back.
Better yet call Amtrak Guest Rewards if you're a member. If you're not a member then sign up.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

#1596157  by daybeers

Alphaboi wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:24 pm
daybeers wrote:Yes, the 4912 or 4812 car. The 4911 or 4811 cars are Viewliner 1s. If you get an 11 car just call and ask an agent to change to a room in the 12 car, which they will do at no extra cost. If they say otherwise ask for a supervisor or call back.
Better yet call Amtrak Guest Rewards if you're a member. If you're not a member then sign up.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
The AGR agents sometimes are misinformed as well since the training at Amtrak is terrible.
 #1596232  by mcgrath618

Just booked for 48-14 of next month. I'll be in 4812, didn't even have to call and change.
This will be my first time on the Lake Shore, and my first time going long distance with a room. Excited to see how the IIs track.