Railroad Forums 

• LV Electrification

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1171176  by nydepot

I was reading through a RR industry "Quiz Book" with 1957 data and it lists Class 1 railroads with electrification. One was the LV. I don't have the book myself but it was something like 13 route miles and 33 track miles (assume double track, sidings, etc.).

Where was this located? Around NYC? Thanks.

Charles
 #1171181  by scottychaos

hmm..interesting!
I have a feeling it wasn't actual LV trackage..
One thing that popped into my head: perhaps it is referring to the PRR electric line that carried LV passenger trains from Newark to Penn Station..
PRR GG1's handled LV trains for many years..
Was that 13 miles? dont know..hold on, I will ask google..

Hunter Tower in Newark was where the LV handed off passenger trains to the PRR:
http://www.signalbox.org/overseas/usa/hunter.htm

Cant find the exact mileage from railroad timetables..but looking at modern maps,
13 miles is about right! I bet that is what the book is referring to..

another theory..
could be referring to electric "mules" at waterfront ports..
not railroad electrification in the traditional sense, with electric locomotives and catenary,
but that could also be what the book was referring to..

But IMO the book is almost certainly referring to the "LV route" between Penn Station and Newark..
in reality the PRR, and electric..

Scot
 #1171192  by nydepot

This is most likely true and what I was thinking of.

The book also references 3 miles of RF&P electrification which is really the Pennsy electrifying into Potomac Yard.

Thanks,

Charles
 #1174141  by Ken W2KB

The LV shared the drawbridge over Newark Bay with the PRR. That trackage was electrified by PRR to the western edge of Greenville Yard. That could account for some of the miles.
 #1176597  by glenonoko

Could it be the Niagara Junction Railway?? The LV owned it jointly with the NYC and the Erie. The track mileages are about right.