Railroad Forums 

• Old B&M Line Through Nashua

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#6859  by JJJeffries

What year did they single track the B&M Line through Nashua? I was looking at some PICS on this site and noticed the old NB main gone.

Thank You,
Craig
 #7169  by eddiebear

It was about 1949. The B & M had two major single-track CTC programs about the same time. The Troy Branch in New York and the NH main from Tie Plant to South Manchester and Amoskeag to Bow. Lengthy portions of the second main were maintained as sidings which could handle running meets at Merrimack and Hooksett. If you can find back issues of the B & M Employee Magazine for that era you can get the story. I think the Tie Plant-Bow section even rated a cover photo of the first train through after the cutover.

#7246  by JJJeffries

Memory sometimes play's tricks on all of us. For some strange reason I thought the old siding through Nashua was there into the 1970s. I knew the crews of the B&M well and the CE nightly freight from Concord to East Deerfield would pull into Nashua and have to crossover to the old NB main (siding) with cars for the yard.

I haven't been there since 1978 so I am sure much has changed.

Best,
Craig