Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#70548  by AmeriKenArtist

Greetings everyone! I've been away from this site for quite a while. I'll be in the big city soon and would like to know which line(s) has the fastest running speed in Manhattan? Within the five boroughs? Thanks, Ken

#70585  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah I know, Ken. I remember you posting in the MBTA forum very frequently! Missed ya!!

Now to answer your question, many top speeds are at 61 mph, mainly in the underwater (East River) tunnels. Also, some express ROWs fall to 61 mph, although only a handful of trains go that fast, most only do 47 or 49.

One place where the 61 mph rule really SHOULD HAVE applied would be the Rockaways (area between Howard Beach/JFK Airpourt and Broad Channel, plus area Between Howard Beach-JFK to N. Conduict Ave). Problem is with soooooo much track work on those tracks trains don't even get to 39 mph, although someday they'll go to the 61 mph systemwide limit if and when the trackwork ever ends.

#75968  by F40

Among the East River tunnels (not the ones at Lower Manhattan), the Broadway (N, R, W) tunnel seems the fastest. Yes, the Queens Blvd line gets some good speeds too, but in the 61st St. tube, you often see R46's hit wailing speeds, it's very fun overall.

As for the 3.5-mile Broad Channel to JFK Airport stretch, the last time I was on a R32, we averaged 41 mph steadily to 'never-never-land' (the sights are so beautiful with the ocean and the uninhabited islands with the airport itself in the background) We barely peaked 45 mph before slowing down for Broad Channel. Yes I agree this portion should be allowed faster speeds given the tracks can handle it.

Speaking of which, there are grating structures between the 2 tracks all along the long portion. What are those for?

#76000  by JayMan

The Brighton Express seems to be pretty fast -- though I don't know how fast.

During a G.O. the 7 express to Flushing over one weekend hit a speed of 47 mph according my look at the speedometer. The front started whisting like the M1-6 cars do when moving.