Railroad Forums 

• Toms River Industrial Track!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1584232  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey As far as Transloading goes you wouldn’t need something too terribly big to fit the needs of the area customers as long as it’s operated efficiently.

As for the new road surface on Bimini Dr I can only assume that was done as an NJDOT thing. Plus the TRIT was never officially abandoned as far as I know so there may be a law somewhere saying the crossings need to be maintained to a point where a train can go over it should service ever restart. I think Maryland has such a law but I’m not sure.
 #1584234  by R&DB

John wrote:
Why have they been doing work to crossings like Bimini Drive
That was done because the road surface was a disaster. It was either county or township with NJDOT. And Bracdude is correct about the TRIT not being abandoned. Csao just stopped using it and later removed the switch for use elsewhere.
 #1584237  by Bracdude181

They probably sold the switch to NJT for them to use it. Quite a few people have told me that’s what Conrail does with their switches when they tear them out.
 #1584240  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:48 pm They probably sold the switch to NJT for them to use it. Quite a few people have told me that’s what Conrail does with their switches when they tear them out.
It's been gone since about 2010. They may have used it at Cross St. when they built the run-around there.
 #1584245  by CharlieL

Re-using it at cross st runaround or somewhere else is more likely; I suspect the switches used by NJT are heavier than the one that was pulled.
 #1584250  by Bracdude181

@CharlieL the switch was at least 132 pound rail I believe. Conrail rebuilt the TRIT in the early 90s for unit chemical train service to Ciba Geicy. The plan fell through sadly.
 #1584289  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:05 pm @CharlieL the switch was at least 132 pound rail I believe. Conrail rebuilt the TRIT in the early 90s for unit chemical train service to Ciba Geicy. The plan fell through sadly.
Interesting, always wondered how much service Ciba Geigy was getting on the TRIT before they shut down around that time. I believe they had a very large plant going until they were shutdown, I wonder how many cars they got a week.
 #1584290  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:05 pm @CharlieL the switch was at least 132 pound rail I believe. Conrail rebuilt the TRIT in the early 90s for unit chemical train service to Ciba Geicy. The plan fell through sadly.
Not Conrails fault. Ciba was discharging chemically contaminated waste into the Toms River and forced to shut down. Been a us superfund site site ever since. Back then many residens had wells and there was a high pevalencs of cancerr, espescially among children. Most of the site has been cleaned up except on-going ground water remediation.
AS ffar as the 132lb turnout, the Secondary has everything from 90lb to 150lb that 've seen.
 #1584297  by Bracdude181

I thought Tom’s River Chemical was the one doing that and they gave the site to Ciba Geicy knowing the state would descend on the place and force them to clean it? But yes, the main reason why that never happened was because Ciba Geicy shut down the site not too terribly long after they took control, and also because NJT wasn’t gonna let them run 50 plus cars a day on the Coast Line.

The Southern Sec is mostly 100 pound rail from the early 1900s. Some rail from 1893 onwards can be found in spots but it’s very light. The only 90 pound stuff I’ve seen is I think on the Lakewood siding and at Oak Glen Rd where Conrail has hilariously rigged a section of said rail between 100 and 132 pound sections via a combination of welds and compromise joint bars. Conrail Quality!
 #1584352  by R&DB

I refer to the site as Ciba as that was the ownership at the time I became aware of the problems there. Yes it was previously owned by Toms River Chemical and currently owned by BASF. Regardless of ownership the groundwater pollution will probably remain for another 50 years,
 #1584513  by GSC

Looking at some older maps, the switch on the TRIT for Ciba-Geigy was called both "Ciba" and "Seba", back when the plant was still Toms River Chemical. Maybe named for the location and Geigy used that name, not sure. I picked up four 80-foot laminated bridge beams for a park at the siding at the lumber yard that was there. The beams came in on two flat cars. The trailer I had stretched to 65 feet, so I had a little hanging over at the back. Took all four beams at once, weighed about 40K total.
 #1584680  by GSC

CJPat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:30 am Nice Load. I assume no DOT hassles?
The company was good with permits. We never went where we weren't we supposed to go. Some really weird and monster loads, a lot of military equipment. I really liked the work.