#1562932 by GSC
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:12 pm
Ah! That would be Winding River Park.
 #1563075  by GSC

R&DB wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:02 pm
#1562932 by GSC
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:12 pm
Ah! That would be Winding River Park.
It was being built, or improved, at the time. Dirt path driveway into the park that wasn't easy to bring an 18-wheeler in, especially with a very long extended trailer. Rt 37 was under construction at the same time, I guess for turning lanes for the park and widening. Kind of cool picking up the beams at BG, on the spur that was curving toward Ciba. Not sure how many loads came into BG after that, that was the only one I picked up. I think it was around 1980?
 #1563085  by R&DB

Gary wrote:
Not sure how many loads came into BG after that, that was the only one I picked up. I think it was around 1980?
I remember reading that BG got rail deliveries until about 2002-2003.
 #1563265  by GSC

A little TRIT history, although it doesn't specify when service ended to various locations. A William Torrey was instrumental in the building of the Toms River RR. It is said he ran a small steam engine in a sand pit near Lakehurst around 1860, but the little locomotive was a failure, tending to derail and damage the light trackage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toms_River_Railroad
 #1563266  by GSC

Toms River related, this should make for some interesting reading. Never heard of this until I found it a few minutes ago. Rebuild the Phila & Long Branch line between Philly and Toms River, so it says. Oh sure.

https://sites.google.com/site/getthereb ... river-line
 #1563275  by R&DB

GSC wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:14 pm Toms River related, this should make for some interesting reading. Never heard of this until I found it a few minutes ago. Rebuild the Phila & Long Branch line between Philly and Toms River, so it says. Oh sure.

https://sites.google.com/site/getthereb ... river-line
Gary, that's an amazing page. My feeling is it should terminate around Pemberton. On the map their choice for Holiday City Station is on church property and there are not many commuters there anyway. It's all seniors. Pretty much the same thing in Whiting. Guess who ever planned that line didn't do much research.
But thanks for the link. Think I'll spend a little time on that site.
 #1563691  by MedicSutton

This would be awesome if it were on the radar. ON the eastern end you will most definitely get pushback from nimbys in Moorestown just as when a light rail option to Mt. Holly was being discussed prior to the Riverline being approved.
 #1565563  by CJPat

The PRR did have a station in South Toms River (technically in North Beachwood) when the PRR route ran from Whiting (Whiting Junction at that time) thru South Toms River, Beachwood, Pine Beach and Ocean Gate until it turned and crossed the Bay to Seaside and then turn north and run all the way up to Bayhead before joining the NY&LB.

The PRR ROW ran along what eventually became the Rt 9 extension where US9 comes SE off the GSP at exit 80. The station building still exists as it was converted into a residence, although it looks like it is facing Halliard Ave. The PRR, after the discontinuation of passengers on this route was eventually cut back to just west of the GSP after the highway was built in/around 1952? in that area. After that, the PRR was eventually cut back all the way to Pemberton.

When Clayton began clearing his ROW in 2006 thru Whiting, we fans became aware of the CNJ/PRR diamond that had been removed and just left in the weeds behind the shopping mall (very neat). When the township built Diamond Rd (obvious name) behind the shopping mall, the piece of intersection track was removed and I am guessing, scrapped?

What never existed was the proposed ROW between Whiting and Rt 37.

BTW, on Bing Maps, if you look at Whiting, there is an actual line on the "road" map that depicts the PRR ROW pretty much running between Pemberton, thru Whiting and over to where it terminated against the GSP just north of exit 80. It appears a great portion of the former PRR line is indicated to be a trail or more likely a firebreak.
 #1565568  by R&DB

@John from Jersey @CJPat;
The original PRR RoW is visible on Google Maps satellite view from Pemberton to Ocean Gate. The easiest place to start looking is in Whiting at the intersection of Station and Diamond Roads. The high tension power line easement running East-West is the RoW. In Pine Beach it's Pennsylvania Ave. In Ocean Gate, Atlantic Ave. The bridge to Seaside began on the North side of Martell's Water Edge Restaurant and crossed the bay to 14th Ave. then turned North up what is now the Southbound lane of NJ-35. The Seaside Park station was located where the Police Department is now.
Back in Whiting, the diamond was exactly where Diamond Rd. crosses the Southern Secondary with the station sitting in the SE corner of the diamond. I'm told the foundation is still there. The Tuckerton Railroad also intersected with PRR & CNJ in Whiting and their RoW is now Lake Ave, Lacey Rd, running to the SE and then turning South to Tuckerton. The Tuckerton RoW ran parallel to the CNJ Barnegat Branch (TRIT) from Forked River to Barnegat.
Now all that I've written here has nothing to do with the Toms River Industrial Track except that the PRR and the TRIT crossed on a diamond in Beachwood.
See also: rr-line-from-camden-to-toms-river-t8951.html
 #1565647  by Rustygunz60

The PRR/CNJ diamond was not scrapped. It was "rescued" over concerns of being taken for scrap, and now rests in Manahawkin next to the Tuckerton Railroad station. The foundation of the Whitings station is indeed still there. An interesting feature to view if you visit is the support beam bridging two of the walls made by two rails welded together, upside down.