Railroad Forums 

• Toledo Terminal south of Nasby Tower

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#18425  by oregontrunkline

I'm looking at buying a house next to the old Gould crossing of the NS Maumee line and the former TT south of Nasby. I like trains, but if NS runs trains at night to Maumee I won't be real thrilled about the noise of the diamond outside my window. I recall somewhere that this section of the TT was being considered for conversion to a trail. Can anyone (like Matt?) enlighten me about this? Thanks.

#18520  by matt

Since NS still uses the Backside Route of the Toledo Terminal between Gould and Vulcan, it is highly unlikely that a trail will ever be found south of Vulcan. It would have to go alongside the used ROW and cross the NS Chicago main at Nasby. Personally, I don't see the need or any demand for a trail along this stretch.

I have been to several presentations held by city, metropark, and Rails to Trails officials and have basically come away with the conclusion that a trail would work from around Laskey (Bowman Park area) southward to Ottawa Park, where the Backside Trail (as it would be called) would hook up with the already-existing park trail system, and then connect to the south with the University Parks Trail (at Vulcan), which runs west to Wildwood, its trail network, and to King Road. Of course, as we all know, nothing happens quickly in this town so we'll just have to continue to wait.

As for train frequency and times, I can't help you too much because I'm unfamiliar with exactly what runs east/west thru Gould but I know the Andersons and John's Manville to the west do pretty good business. The terminal only gets a local once every other day I think but all trains thru Gould are either "locals" or "yard jobs", leading me to believe that most would run during the daylight. At any rate, I doubt many of your future neighbors near Gould lose much sleep due to trains. If you're concerned though, ask them.

Best of Luck. (let the forum know what you see pass your house)

#18851  by nycrick

I live about a 1/2 mi. from these tracks & they usually run 2-4 trains per day (more during harvest season), at just about any time - a lot at night. I haven't heard any today but about 4 yesterday. The diamond at Gould is gone so you'll hear no noise from that; just flange squeal & diesel horns. In addition to the businesses Matt mentioned there's also 84 Lumber & the Ford plant on Illinois Ave, NS also recently put a new spur to a business on Tedrow St. about a 100 yds. west of the Glanzman Rd. crossing. I'm not sure of what kind of shipments/recieving they have. (One good thing though - You can watch trains without having to get out-of-bed!) :wink:

#18857  by nycrick

As I write this at 1AM on Wednesday I can hear a train crossing Michigan St. on it's way out to Maumee. This is the only train I've heard in the last 24 hours.
 #693849  by Northwest727

I noticed the other day, before picking up my girlfriend from her RN classes at UT Medical Center (formerly MCO), that the rails on the TT that run adjacent to the campus are pretty rust and show no wear, as if no train has run on the tracks for quite some time. However, the line is welded and in clear, so I wonder just how much the TT tracks are used.
 #714314  by esprrfan

Between Nasby and Gould is out of service, the line deadends about 1/2 block south of Nasby tower. Only thing that has been on those rails are some stored cars. Between Maumee and Toledo there's a daily train from and back to Homestead yard in Oregon. The local on that line goes on duty at 3pm but only "normally" heads towards the river 3 times a week. Grain trains can show up anytime.
 #715334  by Northwest727

Thanks. Any idea of when the diamond was removed with the former NYCRR main, and any idea of when the last train ran on the backside of the TT both north and south of Nasby? The TT is being torn up from Monroe St. Northward, and the portion between Monroe and Nasby is overgrown with weeds.
 #741367  by esprrfan

North of Nasby for right now still see's a local or two a week that serves a customer just north of hill Ave. The nasby diamonds we removed 2 years ago IIRC. The line from Gould north towards nasby is out of service.
 #744879  by jimnorthwood

Last through train, a NS unit grain train for the Anderson's in Maumee, on the TT Back Side ran in July, 2000. The Toledo Belt Line connection to the Water Level Route was completed at that time, and through trains ceased to use the TT Back Side.