Railroad Forums 

• Toledo Area Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#185291  by railohio

I've got an afternoon to kill in Toledo this coming week and I was hoping to spend some of it trackside filling in some holes in my photo coverage. I've got a few questions about what I can find running on a Thursday in the area.

1. How heavy is the CN and NS traffic through Monroe in the afternoon?
2. Is there any hope of a grain train on the Ottawa Lake line?
3. When does the Adrian & Blissfield usually operate during the week? Where are their operations based out of?
4. Is the NS run to Monclova Twp. a daily operation? If not what days does it run?
5. When does the Wheeling usually operate across the river into Lang Yard?
6. What are some good photo locations along the Toledo Branch Subdivision north of Bowling Green?
7. When are the remaining industries in the Ampoint Industrial Park usually served?

Thanks for the help!

#185488  by mike

I will answer the couple I have some knowledge on...

The train to Ottawa Lake is very hit or miss. This is the "busiest" time of the year for the line, with grain and such being shipped out. However, 2-3 trains a week, some during the day and some at night, is par for the course.

I believe the trip to Monclova Twp, read Johns-Manville in Waterville, is a daily run. I used to work in Grand Rapids, and it was relatively normal for me to see NS switching cars there. This was typically in the evening hours.

Since I am now working on the east side, and drive by the south end of Ampoint on occasion, I normally see the local in the morning hours. I believe this same local switches my currently employer, Jones-Hamilton. What specific industries are still served, I'm not certain. This train occasionally has a Cheesie caboose too.

#185567  by railohio

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, Mike!

#185818  by jimnorthwood

The Adrian and Blissfield's engine house is located off Michigan Street (I'm pretty sure it's Michigan Street) in Adrian. But in mild weather the locomotives can often be found in Blissfield, off U.S. 223, where the tourist/dinner trains originate. They use two former GTW GP-9's. Recently they acquired four additional GP's; presumably these will be used to service the new methanol facility which is to be constructed online near Riga. I believe their operation is geared towards whenever freight cars need to be moved, as opposed to any type of set schedule. That said, the grain elevator in Blissfield is their biggest customer and given the time of year, they are probably moving a good deal of product right now. There is also, I believe, a place near the grain elevator that receives fertilizer of some sort. Other customers, in Adrian, include a lumber yard, a scrap yard, and a place that receives plastic pellets for the automotive industry. Interchange is with NS in Adrian and with I&O in Riga. Most interchange seems to be with NS these days, though. Merrillat in Adrian is the end of track; they used to receive particle board and ship finished cabinets but they haven't received/shipped by rail in years. A stub of the Morenci branch crossed U.S. 223 near Palmyra to service a fertilizer dealer located on the south side of the highway; however, that crossing was pulled a couple of years ago.
 #185871  by MSchwiebert

Brian: There's a nice little sag on the Toledo Branch just north of Dowling that makes for a good Telephoto "Mash" shot for a northbound. I don't think you can get the sun on the nose of a northbound this time of year though. I've tried to attach the Yahoo map that shows the location. If it shows up, you would be looking southward down the tracks from the Carter Road Grade crossing. (if not Dowling is accessible off of SR25 by taking Dowling Road east. Continue east across the tracks and turn north on Carter road)

Other than that, the former T&OC is just like the other lines in the area. However, the signals used on the line are somewhat unique compared to signals on other former NYC lines due to it having the TCS system installed so late (mid to late 1960's), so they may be used for scenery props.

Michael Schwiebert

#187147  by brianpwestgate

ADBF runs when needed, which means just about daily. The line ends at Porter Hwy, west of Adrian. Last customer is Intergy Automotive (plastic pellets) which is just west of Merillat. The railroad probably has at least 7 customers.

#191256  by matt

For the Old Road update, an odd yellow rust on the rails at Douglas tells me things have been quiet.